skip to main content

U.S. Export Controls and Economic Sanctions

U.S. export control and economic sanctions regulations exist to protect national security, foreign policy and domestic economic interests. Export control regulations identify items, software, technology and services that may require an export license  to transfer out of the U.S.  Additionally, the release of controlled technology to a foreign national inside the United States is deemed to be an export to the individual's home country and is subject to the same regulations.

Similarly, economic sanctions programs prohibit transactions with certain countries, institutions,  and individuals in order to accomplish foreign policy and national security goals. Prohibited transactions are trade or financial transactions, and other dealings such as providing services, in which U.S. persons may not engage unless authorized or expressly exempted by statute.

Violations of export control and economic sanctions regulations can result in the loss of research contracts, as well as both civil and criminal monetary fines and prison sentences.

The vast majority of UNR's activities are excluded from export control and economic sanctions regulations. Export control regulations generally do not apply to information that is 1) in the public domain/publicly available, 2) released in academic catalog-listed courses, or 3) results from Fundamental Research. Because there are exceptions to these exclusions, always consult with the Office of Sponsored Projects if there is uncertainty about the export control status of any UNR activity.

Provisions in award grants/contracts that would remove the Fundamental Research Exclusion include:

  • Restriction of access to, or publication of research/technical data.
  • Limitations to the participation of foreign nationals in the research effort.

To determine whether your project may be subject to export control and economic sanctions regulations, view the University Export Control Checklist as well as the Export Control Policy.

Export Controls Training

Training on export controls and economic sanctions is available through the web-based Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) modules for Export Control.  Directions for accessing the CITI training in U.S. Export Controls.

Export Controls Frequently Asked Questions

For information about export controls, please see the Export Control FAQ.

International Travel, Export Controls, and Economic Sanctions

Export controls and economic sanctions are particularly important when traveling outside the U.S. If you plan to travel outside the U. S., please click here for more information.

Foreign Workers and Visitors

An export controls and economic sanctions evaluation is required for foreign workers and visitors coming to UNR on the following visa types: H-1B, J-1 Research Scholar, J-1 Professor, J-1 Short-Term Scholar.  Departments should complete the Export Control Evaluation for Foreign Workers and Visitors (OSP-30) form, submit it to the Office of Sponsored Projects for evaluation, and then submit the fully signed form with the rest of the visa application paperwork to the Office of International Students and Scholars.  An export control evaluation is not required for J-1 or F-1 Students.

Departments hosting foreign visitors for any reason may request the Office of Sponsored Projects to run a Restricted Party Screening by submitting the OSP-30 form.

Take the next step...