skip to main content

U.S. Export Controls

An export is any item transferred from the United States to a foreign destination. "Items" include commodities, software, information, and technology. The release of controlled technology, source code or defense services to a foreign national inside the United States is also considered an export to the individual's home country and is referred to as a "deemed export."

U.S. export control laws and regulations exist to protect national security and the domestic economy. The export of controlled items, information or software may require approval from the U.S. government in the form of an export license. An export license permits controlled tangible items or software to be sent outside the U.S. or controlled technology or software to be shared with foreign persons in the U.S. or abroad.  Violations of export control regulations can result in the loss of research contracts, as well as both civil and criminal monetary fines and prison sentences.

The vast majority of UNR's activities are excluded from export control regulations. Export control regulations generally do not apply to information that is 1) in the public domain/publicly available, 2) released in academic catalog-listed courses, or 3) results from Fundamental Research. Because there are exceptions to these exclusions, always consult with the Office of Sponsored Projects if there is uncertainty about the export control status of any UNR activity.

For example, provisions in award grants/contracts that would remove the Fundamental Research Exclusion are:

  • Restriction of access to, or publication of research/technical data.
  • Limitations to the participation of foreign nationals in the research effort.
  • Inclusion of a clause that requires the University to follow export control regulations for the project.

To determine whether you have export controlled items, view the University Export Control Checklist as well as the Export Control Policy.

If there are "yes" responses on the completed Export Control Checklist, training may be required through the web-based Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) modules for Export Control. Anyone interested in learning more about U.S. export controls is welcome to access the training. Directions for accessing the CITI training in U.S. Export Controls.

Export Control Frequently Asked Questions

For information about export controls, please see the Export Control FAQ.

International Travel and Export Controls

Export controls are particularly important when traveling outside the U.S. If you plan to travel outside the U. S., please read the letter to international travelers.

Foreign Workers and Visitors

An export control evaluation is required for foreign workers and visitors coming to UNR on the following visa types: H-1B, J-1 Research Scholar, J-1 Professor, J-1 Short-Term Scholar.  Departments should complete the Export Control Evaluation for Foreign Workers and Visitors (OSP-30) form, submit it to the Office of Sponsored Projects for evaluation, and then submit the fully signed form with the rest of the visa application paperwork to the Office of International Students and Scholars.  An export control evaluation is not required for J-1 or F-1 Students.

Departments hosting foreign visitors for any reason may request the Office of Sponsored Projects to run a Restricted Party Screening by submitting the OSP-30 form.

Take the next step...