Training for Export Control
You have self-identified and/or the Office of Sponsored Projects has identified your research as export controlled or potentially export controlled. You and your department are performing a significant contribution to the University in the conduct of research on our campus. U.S. export control laws may apply to items, technology, hardware, software, data and/or services related to the various research activities underway at the University of Nevada, Reno. These laws prohibit the release of controlled items (outside of the U.S.) or data to foreign entities and persons anywhere. It benefits the entire University community to ensure that individuals who are engaged in export controlled activities have received appropriate and rigorous training in matters pertaining to export control concerns. You have been requested to participate in this training to primarily protect you and also the University. This training will be done through Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI).
Violations of export control regulations can result in the loss of research contracts, monetary fines and/or prison sentences.
Please complete our CITI training on export controls within two weeks of a positive response on the UNR checklist for export control issues.
- Go to www.citiprogram.org.
- If you are a new user, complete steps 3 to 6; if you already have a login and password, complete steps 7 to 10.
- Register as a new user.
- Locate and select the University of Nevada, Reno in the drop down list.
- When you get to the options to Select Curriculum, scroll down to Question 1 and choose N/A, then scroll down to Question 6 and choose the export control option that most closely matches your individual circumstances.
- Scroll down and click on Complete Registration. You will be taken back to your home page where you will see Not Started. You may start and stop the modules as many times as needed, log out and back in as time permits, the training will pick up where you left off.
- Login using your registered username and password. If you have forgotten your username and/or password, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and he will e-mail your username and a link to reset your password.
- From your home page, click on Add a Course or Update Learner Groups.
- Scroll down to Question 6 and choose the export control option that most closely matches your individual circumstances.
- Scroll down and click on Submit. You will be taken back to your home page where you will see Not Started. You may start and stop the modules as many times as needed, log out and back in as time permits, the training will pick up where you left off.
Please complete modular training within two weeks of a positive response on the UNR checklist for export control issues. Our office will monitor your progress. The University is responsible for certification that the Export Control (EC) training is in place and verifies that each identified individual has completed the appropriate EC modules. If you fail to complete the EC training, the PI will be in jeopardy of closure of the awarded account due to non-compliance. If you have any concerns, please contact John Hasenau at (775) 636-5674 or email@example.com.