Gloria Messick Svare
Gloria Messick-Svare, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and MSW Program Coordinator
- Ph.D. of Social Welfare, University of California, Berkeley, 1998
- M.S.W. of Social Work, University of California, Los Angeles, 1971
- B.A. of History, Azusa Pacific University, 1968
Professor Svare major research focus is on adult guardianship issues: identifying characteristics and examining quality of life dimensions and measures. A related area of interest is on spirituality as part of quality of life for cognitively impaired individuals.
Professor Svare primarily teaches courses in the area of research.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism funded Post-Doctoral
- Fellowship in alcohol research at Prevention Research Center, in affiliation with the School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, 1998 - 1999
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism funded Post-Doctoral Fellowship in alcohol research at Prevention Research Center, in affiliation with the School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, 1998-1999
- American Association of University Women Dissertation Year Fellowship, 1996-97.
- Vice-Chancellor for Research Fund Award, 1997.
- Oral Examination for Advancement to Candidacy: Passed with Distinction.
- Department of Veterans Affairs: Funded Extended Education Leave, 1991-92.
- Principle Investigator, Spirituality and Substance Abuse Recovery, Center for the Application of Substance Abuse Technologies (CASAT), 2005-2006.
- Principle Co-Investigator with Denise Montcalm, Senior Law Project Evaluation Study, 2004-2005.
- Research Assistant, The Stepfamily Project, Mary Ann Mason, Principle Investigator, 1996-1999.
- Principle Investigator, A Mail Survey of the Health Needs of Women Veterans, Veterans Administration Health Services Research and Development (HSR&D), 1988-1989.
- Manit, J., Svare, G.M. & Hylton, M. Developing and Integrating Simulation Training into Curriculum for Social Work Education, May 2012-May 2013, $5,000.
- Principle Investigator, Family Solutions Team Program Evaluation, Washoe County Department of Social Services, July 1, 2010-July 1, 2011, $45,736.
- Principle Co-Investigator with Linda Anngela, Quality of Life and Costs of Guardianship in Washoe County, Building a Healthy Nevada Faculty Research Grant, Funded by the College of Health and Human Sciences, 2007-2009, $25,000.
- Principle Co-Investigator with Eric Albers, Deborah Loesch-Griffin, Mary Hylton, and Jill Manit, Culture Project, Building a Healthy Nevada Faculty Research Grant, Funded by the College of Health and Human Sciences, 2007-2009, $25,000.
- Principle Co-Investigator with Linda Anngela, Senior Law Project Evaluation Study, 2005-2007.
Clinical Social Work Experience
- Founding Director, Psychiatric Outpatient Services Women's Program, Veterans Administration Medical Center, San Francisco, 1985-1995.
- Professional social worker in multiple psychiatric settings: Mental Hygiene Clinic, Psychiatric Emergency Service, Day Treatment Center, and Inpatient Psychiatric Unit, Veterans Administration Medical Center, San Francisco, CA (1980-1994); Martinez, CA (1974-1980); Brentwood, CA (1971-1974).
Presentations (Past 5 years)
- Svare, G.M. & Wendell, J. Presenting Your Case for Funding: How to Develop Statistics that Work, The 2011 National Conference on Guardianship, October 1-October 4, 2011.
- Svare, G.M., Manit, J., Atlookan, M. & Anderson, T. Evaluation of a Team Decision Making Model: A Focus on Engagement as the Outcome. American Humane Association's 1011 Groups Decision Making (FGDM) and Other Family Engagement Approaches. Las Vegas, NV, June 8-11, 2011.
- Mahaffy, J. & Svare, G.M. Curriculum Mapping: An Introduction, Annual Evaluation Conference at Truckee Meadows Community College, Reno, NV, January 12, 2011.
- Wendel, J. & Svare, G.M. The Quest for Data, Annual meeting of the National Guardianship Association, Nashville, TN, October 5, 2008.
- Mahaffy, J., Kopera-Frye, K., & Svare, G. M, A Curriculum Map: What it is and what it can do for your program, 5th Annual UNR Assessment Conference, Reno, NV, February 2, 2007. This conference was following by a 2-hour workshop on developing a curriculum map on February 27, 2007.
- Mahaffy, J., Kopera-Frye, K,. & Svare, G.M. Curriculum Mapping, Annual meeting of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (STLHE), Edmonton, Edmonton, Canada, June, 2007.
- Mahaffy, J., Kopera-Frye, K., & Svare, G.M. Developing and Using Curriculum Maps with Assessment Results for Program Improvement, The 2005 Assessment Institute in Indianapolis, Indianapolis, IN, October 23-25, 2005.
- Svare, G.M., Albers, E., Hylton, M. & Dorway, E., Spirituality, Religion, and Social Work Practice: Benefits and Challenges, Annual meeting of the Nevada chapter of NASW, Reno, September 29-31, 2005.
- Svare, G.M., Montcalm, D., Using a Student Evaluation Instrument to Foster Student Engagement, annual meeting of Baccalaureate Program Directors, Reno, NV, October 28-November 1, 2003.
- Svare, G.M., Harrison-Jay, S., Bruce, E., & Freisthler, B. Simultaneous Equation Modeling: Applying an Innovative Research Approach to Complex Social Work Problems, Annual meeting of the Society for Social Work & Research, San Diego, January 17-20, 2001.
- Svare, G.M., Owens-Kane, S., Spirituality and Social Work, Northern Nevada Conference on Children and Families, Reno, Nevada, May 4, 2001.
- Svare, G.M. & Owens-Kane, S. Application of a Model for Integrating Spirituality and Practice: Spirituality and African-American Female Elder Caregivers, Annual meeting of the Nevada chapter of NASW, Lake Tahoe, NV, October 2000.
- Bruce, E., Harrison-Jay, S., Svare, G.M. & Owens-Kane, S. Going Below the Tip of the Iceberg: Social Work, Religion, and Spirituality, Annual meeting of the Council on Social Work Education, New York, February 2000.
- Svare, G.M & Manit, J. Using Evidence to Inform Practice in Human Services, The Rotary Club, Reno, NV, June 11, 2011
- Svare, G.M. Translational Social Work, Small Group Facilitator, Sacramento, CA, September 21, 2012.
- Mason, M.A., Harrison-Jay, S., Svare, G.M., & Wolfinger, N. (2002).
- Stepparents or Legal Strangers, Journal of Family Issues, 23(4), 507- 522.
- Freisthler, B., Svare, G.M., & Harrison-Jay, S., (2003). It was the Best of Times, it was the Worst of Times: Young Adult Stepchildren Talk About Growing Up in a Stepfamily, Journal of Divorce and Remarriage, 38(3/4), 83-102.
- Svare, G.M., Bruce, E., Harrison-Jay, S., & Owens-Kane, S. (2003). Going Below the Tip of the Iceberg: Social Work, Religion, and Spirituality, Social Thought: Journal of Religion in the Social Sciences, 22(4), 19-36.
- Svare, G.M., Ames, G., & Miller, L. Social Climate and Workplace Drinking Among Women in a Male-Dominated Occupation. (2004). Addictive Behaviors, 29(8), 1691-1698.
- Svare, G.M., Jay, S., & Mason, M.A. (2004). Stepparents on Stepparenting: An Exploratory Study of Stepparenting Approaches. Journal of Divorce and Remarriage, 41(3/4), 81-97.
- Jay, S., Freisthler, B., & Svare, G.M. Drinking in Young Adulthood: Is the Stepparent a Risk Factor? (2004). Journal of Divorce and Remarriage, 41(3/4), 99-114. Articles in Press
- Svare, G.M., Jay, S., Bruce, E.J., Freisthler, B., & Miller, L.S. (2007-8). Introducing simultaneous equation modeling: A theoretical approach to examining complex social problems. Journal of Social Service Research.
- Svare, G.M. & Anngela-Cole, L. (2010). Conceptualizing quality of life among older adults in guardianship: Guardians and elder law attorneys talk about QOL and spirituality. Journal of Religion and Spirituality in Social Work: Social Thought, 29 (2), 237-255.
- Mahaffey, J., Kopera-Frye, K., & Svare, G.M., (2008). The map to curriculum alignment and improvement. CELT: Collected Essays on Learning and Teaching, 1, 8-14.
- Svare, G.M, Hylton, M., & Albers, E. (2007). On our own: Social workers talk about spiritually sensitive practice. Journal of Religion and Spirituality in Social Work: Social Thought, 26(4), 95-113
- Svare, G.M. & Wendel, J. (2012) Economic Analysis of Older Adult Health and Health Care, 255-267. (Jean W. Lange, Ed.). The Nurse's Role in Promoting Optimal Health of Older Adults: Thriving in the Wisdom Years, Philadelphia, PA: F.A. Davis Company.
Articles in Review
- Svare, G.M, Hylton, M., & Albers, E. On Our Own: Social workers talk about spiritually sensitive practice. Social Thought: Journal of Religion in the Social Services.