Gloria Messick Svare
Gloria Messick Svare, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and MSW Program Coordinator
- Ph.D., Social Welfare, University of California, Berkeley, 1998
- M.S.W., University of California, Los Angeles, 1971
- B.A. History, Azusa Pacific University
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism funded Post-Doctoral Fellowship. Prevention Research Center, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, 1998 - 1999
- Manit, J., Svare, G.M. & Hylton, M. Developing and Integrating Simulation Training into Curriculum for Social Work Education, May 2012-May 2013, $5,000.
- Principle Investigator, Family Solutions Team Program Evaluation, Washoe County Department of Social Services, July 1, 2010-July 1, 2011, $45,736.
- Principle Co-Investigator with Linda Anngela, Quality of Life and Costs of Guardianship in Washoe County, Building a Healthy Nevada Faculty Research Grant, Funded by the College of Health and Human Sciences, 2007-2009, $25,000.
- Principle Co-Investigator with Eric Albers, Deborah Loesch-Griffin, Mary Hylton, and Jill Manit, Culture Project, Building a Healthy Nevada Faculty Research Grant, Funded by the College of Health and Human Sciences, 2007-2009, $25,000.
Clinical Social Work Experience
- Founding Director, Psychiatric Outpatient Services Women's Program, Veterans Administration Medical Center, San Francisco, 1985-1995.
- Professional social worker in multiple psychiatric settings: Mental Hygiene Clinic, Psychiatric Emergency Service, Day Treatment Center, and Inpatient Psychiatric Unit, Veterans Administration Medical Center, San Francisco, CA (1980-1994); Martinez, CA (1974-1980); Brentwood, CA (1971-1974).
Presentations (Past 5 years)
- Hylton, M.E., Manit, J, Svare, G.M. & Montcalm, D. "It is not Personal, Developing and Implementing Behaviorally-Specific Gatekeeping Policies," Poster presented at Council on Social Work Education annual meeting, Dallas, TX, October 31-November 3, 2013.
- Svare, G.M., Montcalm, D.M., Hylton, M.E., & Manit, J. Defining AGP as a Basis for curriculum Development and Evaluation, Poster presented at Council on Social Work Education annual meeting, Dallas, TX, October 31-November 3, 2013.
- Svare, G.M. & Wendell, J. Presenting Your Case for Funding: How to Develop Statistics that Work, The 2011 National Conference on Guardianship, October 1-October 4, 2011.
- Svare, G.M., Manit, J., Atlookan, M. & Anderson, T. Evaluation of a Team Decision Making Model: A Focus on Engagement as the Outcome. American Humane Association's 1011 Groups Decision Making (FGDM) and Other Family Engagement Approaches. Las Vegas, NV, June 8-11, 2011.
- Mahaffy, J. & Svare, G.M. Curriculum Mapping: An Introduction, Annual Evaluation Conference at Truckee Meadows Community College, Reno, NV, January 12, 2011.
- Svare, G.M. & Wendel, J. (2012) Economic Analysis of Older Adult Health and Health Care, 255-267. (Jean W. Lange, Ed.). The Nurse's Role in Promoting Optimal Health of Older Adults: Thriving in the Wisdom Years, Philadelphia, PA: F.A. Davis Company.
- Svare, G.M. & Anngela-Cole, L. (2010). Conceptualizing quality of life among older adults in guardianship: Guardians and elder law attorneys talk about QOL and spirituality. Journal of Religion and Spirituality in Social Work: Social Thought, 29 (2), 237-255.
- Mahaffey, J., Kopera-Frye, K., & Svare, G.M., (2008). The map to curriculum alignment and improvement. CELT: Collected Essays on Learning and Teaching, 1, 8-14.