Historical Society celebrates centennial
Serious concern for the preservation of Nevada’s historical materials was abuzz in spring 1904. Prior organizations had failed to keep safe the relics of the state’s past.
In an effort to resolve the issue, the Nevada Academy of Sciences called a meeting to discuss the issue in late May of that year. Important political figures, educators, business leaders, and other prominent socially and culturally minded citizens gathered in Morrill Hall on May 31, 1904 to find a way to preserve Nevada’s history. That day, the Nevada Historical Society was born.
The society became a state agency in 1907 and was given $5,000 to fund a building in 1911. The building (shown above) was completed in 1913, located at 844 N. Center St. The Society later moved to its current location on the northwest corner of campus in 1968.
One hundred years later, the society continues to maintain pristine records of Nevada’s past. It provides not only an extensive research library for free public use, but also exhibits Nevada artifacts and art.
— Brandon Stewart