Local fraternities have been a part of the university since the early 1890s. On Feb. 22, 1913, the Greek system obtained its first nationally recognized organization, Delta Delta Delta. The 20-member sorority, formerly known as Theta Epsilon, acquired its charter and became Tri-Delta's Theta Theta chapter.
The Greek community further expanded to host national fraternities: the Delta Xi chapter of Sigma Nu was granted in 1914, The Hall Protection Organization (T.H.P.O.) became the Nevada Alpha Chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon in early 1917, and Phi Delta Tau, originally founded in 1912, became the Delta Iota Chapter of Alpha Tau Omega in 1921 along with 13 other Greek organizations formed in the first two decades of the 20th century.
During the 1950s, one-third to one-half of the Nevada student population was affiliated with a Greek house — some years of the Artemisia list as many as 15 Greek chapters. However, the 1970s saw the percentage of Greek students drop to fewer than 10 percent. Today, the campus has nine fraternities and four sororities.
— Brandon Stewart