Why sweat it? Here are some proven benefits of physical activity:
- Aids in weight loss or maintenance
- Increases energy
- Improves sleep
- Improves mental health and well-being
- Reduces the risk of disease including cardiovascular, Type II diabetes, and colon and breast cancers
- Strengthens your muscles and bones
What is the best work out?!
The best work out is the one you like to do!
Maybe it’s hiking, dancing, yoga or crossfit?
Maybe it’s at the gym or on the quad?
It doesn’t matter – just get moving.
We should all do aerobic activity that raises our heart rate for at least 30-minutes a day.
Add in some strength training and flexibility and you will be amazed at how you feel!
Remember you can break up your 30 minutes into 10 minute time increments, 3 times a day, 5 days a week – that is as easy as a brisk walk to your class!
- Aerobic activity - Activities that get you breathing harder and increase your heart rate! Try hiking the N, biking to school, or taking a brisk walk or run, doing a class at Lombardi.
- Muscle-strengthening – Activities geared towards strengthening your muscles. To strengthen muscles, try lifting weights, working with resistance bands, or using your own body weight for resistance (e.g., push-ups).
- Flexibility exercise – Remember to stretch when your muscles are warm! Try yoga, tai chi, or stationary stretches (e.g., forward bending, leg stances).
UNR makes exercising convenient!
Click on the link for a friendly bicycle and walking campus map.
Physical activity resources:
- Lombardi Recreation – get your pass for only $80 a semester!
- If they gym is not for you, the Residence Hall Association organizes activities through-out the year
- The Student Health Center offers N-ergy, a wellness program for UNR students! The program is delivered through 4 weekly sessions and is free. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.