The Service-Learning club is a student run organization working closely with the Office of Service-Learning and Civic Engagement (OSLCE) to promote service-learning on campus, participate in SL events and serve as facilitators for SL reflection.
To learn more about the club or how to get involved please contact Marissa Fabel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current Service Opportunities
Northern Nevada Food Bank Hunger Study
Current Reflection Questions
Please answer the following questions relating to the Hunger Study in your reflection notebook. Please remember that there is no right or wrong answer. For each site visit, please answer questions 1 and 2. Please also answer one question from questions 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 for each site visit.
- (Open Ended) Today (date), I went to: . I did: . I choose to engage in this activity because: .
- After the service, what things, images, thoughts, etc. stuck in your head from this experience?
- Have you ever had to miss a meal(s) because you did not have food or resources?
- How do you feel your involvement in this local event will help (or alternatively will not help) the broader issue of hunger in our community?
- Should people who are not experiencing hunger care if some people in our community are hungry? Why or why not?
- (After going to multiple sites) Have you recognized anyone from multiple sites? Have they recognized you? How did you respond to this?
- Do you currently (or have you ever) qualify to participate in the program you were surveying at? Does qualifying (or not) affect the way you interact with the clients?
ESL In-home Reflection Questions
Instructions: At least once a month please answer questions 1 and 2 and choose at least one more from questions 3-5 to answer regarding your service experience.
- What has been challenging about this experience? What has been rewarding?
- Have you added or eliminated any resources or teaching methods to your lessons to improve them? If so, what and why? If not, are you planning on doing so?
- What are the challenges and benefits of working around client's hours and geographic location?
- In what areas of their lives are ESL students marginalized by society?
- What have you learned of the language of the student you are working with? What have you learned about their culture?