Helpful information for students in a SL course
Tips for Successful Service Placement
- Be sure you can work within the organization's schedule or calendar
- Research the organizations offered for placement choices
- Be self-reliant
- Stay aware of the time requirements of this class and your other classes in order to ensure you can complete your hours in a timely fashion
- Maintain communication with the organization and your professor
Life happens but if you need to miss a service time, you are responsible for knowing your organization's absence policy and making up the hours.
- If you are the victim of a crime, please report it to the police immediately.
- If you know you are going to be out late, plan ahead as to how you will get home safely.
- Never walk alone at night. Travel in groups of two or more and always travel in well-lit, heavily traveled areas.
- Have a friend walk with you or meet you at a location the two of you can walk from safely. If you are alone, walk in groups of people.
- Tell someone where you are going and when you will return. Carry a whistle or noise maker. This can serve as a reminder to exercise caution, and can alert someone in the area that you need help. Whistles are available free of charge at University Police Headquarters – ground floor of the Fitzgerald Student Services Building.
- Be alert! Look around you; be aware of who is on the street and in the area. Make it difficult for anyone to take you by surprise.
- If listening to music, keep the volume low so you can hear what is going on around you.
- Follow your intuition… trust your feelings.
Information on safety
YOU are responsible for your transportation to and from your service site. Please keep this in mind when accepting a placement. Our office works to provide opportunities in various locations around town that may convenient for you but we cannot provide transportation.