ScienceFIT is REQUIRED for all incoming College of Science freshmen
AUGUST 21-25, 2016
What is ScienceFIT?
ScienceFIT (previously known as BioFIT) is a five-day, intensive academic program designed to increase success for incoming College of Science freshmen. The program offers a glimpse into the University's rigorous academic expectations and college life prior to the start of the semester.
What is ACE 110?
ALL College of Science freshmen will be enrolled into the ScienceFIT course, ACE 110 (1 credit), for Fall 2016 as part of the Advanced Registration process. There is a $250 course fee for the ACE 110 course.
Financial assistance is available for the $250 course fee based on demonstrated financial need.
ScienceFIT participants will:
- Get a jump start on required course content
- Attend lectures from the faculty who teach required first-year science courses
- Visit research labs and learn about exciting research your faculty are engaged in
- Participate in review sessions, take exams, and exam results discussions
- Complete homework assignments
- Learn about available campus resources for success
- Become familiar with the University campus - where buildings are located, travel time, etc.
- Become familiar with the University classroom setting
- Work and study in groups with your peers
- Interact with faculty from your department, your academic advisors, and Pack Mentors (upperclassmen in your major)
- Become familiar with using on-line course components, technology, and resources such as WebCampus
Housing for ScienceFIT
Students who apply for the University's on campus housing BEFORE April 1st and subsequently receive an on campus housing assignment for the 2016-2017 academic year have the option to move into their assigned residence hall room as part of ScienceFIT for a $123 fee - financial assistance is also available for students with demonstrated financial need. Information about University's on-campus housing is available HERE.
Take a look at our preliminary 2016 ScienceFIT Program Schedule - it is subject to change.
What To Bring:
- Planner/calendar (electronic or paper)
- #2 Pencils
- Laptop computer or tablet and accessories (see below)
- Headphones or earbuds for your laptop
- Power cord or back up battery for laptop
- Scientific, non-programmable calculator (for example, a TI 30)