The Mackay School
Welcome to Mackay School of Earth Sciences & Engineering
A division of the College of Science, the Mackay School of Earth Sciences and Engineering enjoys a long and proud history at the University of Nevada, Reno.
The Mackay Muckers
Check out the Mackay Muckers on Facebook, a nationally competitive mining team here at the University of Nevada, Reno.
The Mackay school offers degree programs in geo-engineering, geography, geology, geophysics, geological engineering, hydrogeology, land use planning policy, metallurgical engineering, and mining engineering.
At Mackay, our goal is to provide a student-focused and student-friendly atmosphere with small class sizes, a low student to faculty ratio, and summer job and internship opportunities.
Mackay comprises three academic departments and two statewide programs:
- Geological Sciences and Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology
- Nevada Seismological Laboratory
A Reputation for Excellence
Internationally renowned for its academic programs in the earth, mineral and engineering sciences, and its diverse research activities, Mackay has earned its reputation for excellence by providing the earth science and minerals industries with highly-trained graduates, by conducting cutting-edge research in its state-of-the art facilities and by its continuous offering of public service to Nevada and the nation.
Our close ties with industry leaders provide students with exclusive opportunities for summer jobs and internships. This means hands-on industry experience, giving you the leading edge to jump-start your career. What's more? Ninety-eight percent of recent Mackay graduates have job offers upon graduation.
- Mackay has one of the strongest groups of geophysicists in the country with a combined group of 22 Ph.D.'s in the Department of Geological Sciences and Engineering, Nevada Seismological Laboratory and the Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology.
- Mackay has one of the largest groups of practicing economic geologists in the country with nine Ph.D.'s and ranks among the three top economic geology programs in the U.S.
- The Great Basin Center for Geothermal Energy is one of the newest and strongest geothermal research programs in the nation.
- Mackay has one of the largest endowments in the nation supporting mineral industry-related academic fields and has the largest undergraduate scholarship program at the University of Nevada, Reno.