Advising for New Freshmen Students
Fall semester freshmen
For new freshmen planning to enroll at the University for the first time during the Fall semester, make sure to participate in the Advanced Registration process so you can be enrolled into courses for the Fall semester.
Mandatory academic advising is provided as part of a 2-day long Summer Orientation session, so make sure to register for an orientation session. The sooner you participate in summer orientation, the sooner your advising hold is removed and you are able to make changes to your schedule.
Prior to your orientation session OR individual advising appointment (individual advising appointments are for students approved to participate in the make-up orientation session), review the CHECKLIST ITEMS - PREPARATION FOR SUCCESSFUL ADVISING items below.
Spring semester freshmen
For new freshmen planning to enroll at the University for the first time during the Spring semester, make sure you complete the following steps:
- Accept your admission in MyNEVADA
- Review the CHECKLIST ITEMS - PREPARATION FOR SUCCESSFUL ADVISING items below.
- Schedule an advising appointment with your academic advisor
CHECKLIST ITEMS - PREPARATION FOR SUCCESSFUL ADVISING
- Review the information in the College of Science Advising Handbook
- Log into MyNEVADA - contact the Admissions & Records (A&R) office with any questions at (775) 784 - 4700 or email@example.com
- Check your test score reports (i.e. ACT, SAT, AP, IB etc) - your highest ACT and SAT scores will be used to determine your initial first semester MATH and ENGLISH course placement
- Check your MATH course placement and ENGLISH course placement for the first semester - initial placement is based on your highest SAT or ACT Math and ACT English or SAT Critical Reading scores in MyNEVADA under test score reports.
- Check your Transfer Credit: Report to confirm A&R has processed your transcript(s) from another institution and view how your transfer credits were articulated
- Check for items in the To Do List and Holds sections in your MyNEVADA Student Center