skip to main content

Academic Advising

My Planner in MyNEVADA

We expect current students to fill out the "My Planner" in MyNEVADA with courses for upcoming terms as part of the advising process; in conjunction with the academic advising report in MyNEVADA, My Planner is a critical tool to plan and verify your degree completion. Instructions on how to use the My Planner feature in MyNEVADA.

Professional School Advising

For students interested in pursuing professional graduate programs, such as: medical, dental, pharmacy, optometry, law, business, etc.

Advising Mission Statement

Undergraduate academic advising in the College of Science teaches and empowers students to take responsibility for learning and for their own academic success through academic planning.

What is Academic Advising?

Academic advising is intended for you, as the student, to proactively plan and consult with your advisor on your academic program in order to achieve your educational and professional goals.

Mandatory Advising Policy

The College of Science has a minimum 3 semester mandatory advising policy for incoming freshmen - that is, all incoming freshmen will have an advising hold in MyNEVADA for 3 consecutive semesters. The advising hold is removed after the student has successfully participated in the advising process.

All new incoming transfer students are required to be advised by their academic advisor before being able to enroll in courses for the 1st semester at the University. This is to insure that transfer credits have been properly articulated and advised on appropriate and required courses for graduation.

NOTE: All College of Science engineering programs (Geological Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, and Mining Engineering) require mandatory advising every semester until graduation.

Learn more about academic advising related topics and issues.

Who is my advisor?

The College of Science offers both professional academic advisors and faculty advisors. 

New students (freshmen and transfers), continuing freshmen and sophomores, and students on academic probation are advised by their academic advisor.

Juniors and seniors in good academic standing (UNR cumulative GPA 2.0 or higher) are advised by their faculty advisor.

Identify your academic advisor and faculty advisor and view their contact information here.

Take the next step...