UNR Home - Quicklinks

navbutton navbutton navbutton navbutton


Frequently Asked Questions

Here is a list of our Frequently Asked Questions divided into 5 categories: General, Graduation, Graduate School, Transferring, and Our Psychology Department. A full list of these questions is also available in .pdf format. If you have a question that is not on the list, please email the psychology advisor.

  1. General
  2. Graduation
  3. Graduate School
  4. Transferring
  5. Our Psychology Department

12. I will still have a few credits left after this semester. Is there any way I can petition to walk in the graduation ceremony with my friends even though I won't be completely finished?

Yes. You can walk in the graduation ceremony if you have 12 or less credits remaining to graduate. You just need to go down to Admissions & Records and fill out a form. This will allow you to get a cap and gown, etc. The only difference between you and students officially graduating will be that their names will be listed in the program. Also, if you have more than 12 credits remaining, you may still be able to walk; talk to Admissions & Records.

13. Please explain the different credit requirements for graduation.

The three things to watch for are:

  1. your specific course requirements,
  2. your total number of credits, and
  3. your number of upper division (300-400 level) credits.

Number of credits is not usually a problem for a student who has been attending full-time, but when you double-count a lot of classes sometimes you run a little short.

14. How do I apply for graduation?

If you are a current student and would like to apply for graduation, login to MyNevada and click on the My Degree Progress/Graduation link near the top left of the page. You will see a drop down containing options that allow you to plan and view your degree/graduation process. See this MyNevada Help link for step-by-step details: http://www.unr.edu/mynevadahelp/studentcenter/academicprogress/graduationapplication

15. Once I graduate from UNR, can I still take classes to raise up my GPA?

No. After you graduate there is no way to raise your GPA. However, a couple of options exist that may be open to you. First, you could delay graduating and complete additional credits (e.g., an additional major or minor). Those grades, of course, would go toward raising (or lowering!) your GPA. A second option is to apply for "graduate special" standing after you graduate. With "graduate special" standing, you are allowed to take some graduate school classes within the graduate program that you would like to eventually apply for. (This discussion assumes that the reason you are worrying about your GPA is so you can be accepted into a graduate program). You could also choose to take more undergraduate courses (e.g., key courses allowing you to be considered for that graduate program). Your undergraduate GPA will not be affected, however; the basic idea is that you can show the admissions committee that you are able to handle the material and can contribute, so maybe they should consider accepting you into the program. If you are then accepted into the program, up to 9 of the graduate-level credits you took as a "graduate special" can count toward that M.A. or Ph.D. degree.

University of Nevada, Reno - Department of Psychology/296
1664 N. Virginia Street Reno, Nevada 89557