The President has delegated the approval of Emeritus promotion to the Executive Vice President & Provost. The policies and procedures for recommendation and approval of Emeritus are contained in the University Administrative Manual, Section 2,580.
Emeritus Faculty Status
This form should be routed through the faculty member's dean or vice president to the Provost's office.
- Upon approval, the faculty member will receive a letter of notification from the Executive Vice President & Provost. In addition, the individual's name will be placed on the official Emeritus Faculty list maintained by the Provost's Office.
- Faculty members receiving an Emeritus promotion will be invited to attend the May Honor the Best ceremony and be recognized and receive a plaque. In addition, new Emeritus faculty are special guests at a reception held during the summer each year.
Emeritus Faculty Privileges
- Emeritus Faculty members may be listed in the University's online Campus Directory if they choose. Contact information may also be listed if provided.
University Catalog Listing
- Emeritus faculty member names and official Emeritus titles are listed in the University's catalog.
Campus ID Card
- Emeritus faculty are entitled to receive a faculty identification card, which can be obtained at the WolfCard Office in the Joe Crowley Student Union. Emeritus faculty with ID cards are entitled to receive Faculty/Staff admission rates, if applicable, for many University events.
- Library cards or WolfCard ID cards are required for all transactions. Emeritus faculty can obtain a library card by showing a letter of affiliation and presenting a photo ID at the library services desk in the Knowledge Center or at the branch libraries.
- Emeritus Faculty may elect to maintain their university e-mail account.
Adjunct or Volunteer Status
- Emeritus Faculty may continue to serve the university in an adjunct or volunteer capacity, including but not limited to serving on University committees.
- Emeritus faculty may receive free parking and the option to purchase a parking permit for a closer zone, pending availability.
- Emeritus faculty may be assigned office space, where available, if the emeritus faculty member's planned university activities require the use of office space.
- Emeritus faculty and professional staff, their spouses and financially dependent children are eligible for grant-in-aid privileges equivalent to those provided in the Board of Regents Handbook, Title 4, Chapter 3, Section 12.
Lombardi Recreation Pass
- UNR Campus recreation facilities are available to all emeritus faculty and retired NSHE employees. Passes must be purchased at the membership desk in the Lombardi Recreation Center.
Academic Events and Ceremonies
- Faculty who attain the rank of emeritus are invited to participate in many academic events and ceremonies.
- The flags may be lowered upon the death of an emeritus faculty member, at the discretion of the president.