- Ph.D., Physics 1987 Lebedev Physical Institute, Moscow, Russia
- M.S., Physics 1979 Moscow State University, Russia
- 2014 - Present Research Professor, Department of Physics, UNR
- 2005 - 2014 Research Associate Professor, Department of Physics, UNR
- 2008 - 2009 Deputy Director and Supervisor of the Laser Project at the NTF
- 2001 - 2004 Visiting Research Scholar, Department of Physics, University of Nevada, Reno
- 1997 - 2001 Head of Department of Science and Information, RITEK-Polisil, Moscow
- 1991 - 1995 Assistant Professor (teaching), Moscow Physical and Technical Institute
- 1979 - 1997 Senior Scientific Researcher, Scientific Researcher, Junior Scientific Researcher, Lebedev Physical Institute, Moscow
High energy density physics, Z-pinches, plasma diagnostics, laser-produced plasmas.
Z-pinch physics: mass and current transport, mechanisms of plasma heating and x-ray generation, magnetic fields, plasma instabilities, control of ablating and imploding plasma flows, hot spots in the Z-pinch.
Experiments with coupled 1-MA Z-pinch and high-intensity laser: study of wire-array Z-pinches with absorption spectroscopy and x-ray imaging radiography. Study of the laser-initiated e-beam and the ionization wave in dielectric solid;
Development of laser-based diagnostics of dense plasma: deep UV laser probing of dense Z-pinches; UV Faraday rotation diagnostic for magnetic fields; sub-picosecond laser probing of the sub-light-speed ionization wave in solid; laser-based x-ray radiography.
More than 70 papers were published in referred journals.
- Hyun Shin Outstanding Research Award of College of Science, UNR, 2009
- DOE-NNSA grant "Study of the internal structure, instabilities, and magnetic fields in the dense Z-pinch". PI, $705K for 3 years, 2012-2015
- V. V. Ivanov, A. A. Anderson, D. Papp, A. L. Astanovitskiy, B. R. Talbot, J. P. Chittenden, N. Niasse, “Current redistribution and generation of kinetic energy in the stagnated z pinch”, Phys. Rev. E 88, 013108 (2013).
- V. V. Ivanov, J. P. Chittenden, R. C. Mancini, D. Papp, N. Niasse, S. D. Altemara, A. A. Anderson, "Investigation of plasma instabilities in the stagnated Z pinch", Phys. Rev. E 86, 046403 (2012).
- G.S. Sarkisov, V.V. Ivanov, P. Leblanc, Y. Sentoku, K. Yates, P. Wiewior, O. Chalyy, A. Astanovitskiy, V. Bychenkov, D. Jobe, R.B. Spielman, "Propagation of a laser-driven relativistic electron beam inside a solid dielectric", Phys. Rev E 86, 036412 (2012).
- V. V. Ivanov, P. Hakel, R. C. Mancini, J. P. Chittenden, A. Anderson, T. Durmaz, P. Wiewior, D. Papp, S. D. Altemara, A. L. Astanovitskiy, O. Chalyy, "Measurement of the ionization state and electron temperature of plasma during the ablation stage of a wire-array Z-pinch using absorption spectroscopy", Phys. Rev. Letts. 106, 225005 (2011).
- V. V. Ivanov, J. P. Chittenden, S. D. Altemara, N. Niasse, P. Hakel, R. C. Mancini, D. Papp, A. A. Anderson, "Study of the internal structure and small-scale instabilities in the dense Z pinch", Phys. Rev. Letts. 107, 165002 (2011).
- V. V. Ivanov, V. I. Sotnikov, J. M. Kindel, P. Hakel, R. C. Mancini, A. L. Astanovitskiy, A. Haboub, S. D. Altemara, A. P. Shevelko, E. D. Kazakov, P. V. Sasorov, "Implosion dynamics and x-ray generation in small-diameter wire-array z-pinches", Phys. Rev. E 79, 056404 (2009).
- V. V. Ivanov, V. I. Sotnikov, A. Haboub, A. P. Shevelko, A. L. Astanovitskiy, A. Morozov, E. D. Kazakov, S. Altemara, "Mitigation of plasma implosion inhomogeneity in "star"-like wire array z-pinches", Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 025004, January 18 (2008).
- V. V. Ivanov, V. I. Sotnikov, G. S. Sarkisov, T. E. Cowan, S.N. Bland, B. Jones, C. A. Coverdale, C. Deeney, P. J. Laca, A. L. Astanovitskiy, A.. Haboub, "Dynamics of mass transport and magnetic fields in low wire number array z-pinches", Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 125001 (2006).
- V. V. Ivanov, A. Maksimchuk, and G. Mourou. "Amplified spontaneous emission in a Ti:Sapphire regenerative amplifier", Applied Optics 42, No 36, 7231-7234 (2003).
- V. V. Ivanov, Yu.V. Senatskii, G.V. Sklizkov. "Absorption in neodymium glasses under powerful laser pulse propagation". Phys. Lett. A 124, 381 (1987).