Professor, Department Chair
- Ph.D., Physics 1984 The Queen's University Belfast, N. Ireland, U.K.
- B.S., Physics and Applied Mathematics 1978 The Queen's University Belfast, N. Ireland, U.K.
- 2014-Present Chair, Physics Department, University of Nevada, Reno
- 2004-Present Professor of Physics, University of Nevada, Reno
- 2004-2011 Director, University Core Curriculum
- 2004-2011 Program Director, Bachelor of General Studies
- 2004-2011 Provost Office Staff
- 2000-2001 Chair, Faculty Senate, University of Nevada, Reno
- 1999 Visiting Faculty, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- 1993-2004 Associate Professor of Physics, University of Nevada, Reno
- 1987-1993 Assistant Professor of Physics, University of Nevada, Reno
- 1984-1987 Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- 2006, President’s Award for Outstanding Committee Service, Univ. of Nevada, Reno
- 2003 Senior Scholar Mentor, College of Arts and Science, Univ. of Nevada, Reno
Particle and photon spectroscopy applied to the study and diagnostics of atomic and molecular systems and laboratory and astrophysical plasmas.
- "Critical test of simulations of charge-exchange-induced x-ray emission in the solar system", Ali, R., Neill, P.A., Beiersdorfer, P., Harris, C.L., Schultz, D.R., Stancil, P.C., Astrophysical Journal Letters, 716, L95-8. (2010)
- "On the significance of the contribution of multiple-electron capture processes to cometary X-ray emission", Ali, R., Neill, P.A., Beiersdorfer, P., Harris, C.L., Rakovic, M.J., Wang, J.G., Schultz, D.R., Stanch, P.C., Astrophysical Journal, Letters, 629, L125-8, (2005)
- "Determination of the charge State distribution of a highly ionized coronal Au plasm"”, Wong, K.L., May, M.J., Beiersdorfer, P., Fournier, K.B., Wilson, B., Brown, G.V., Springer, P., Neill, P.A., Harris, C.L., Phys. Rev. Lett., 90, 1-4, (2003)
- "X-ray emission following low-energy charge exchange collisions of highly charged ions", Beiersdorfer, P.; Olson, R.E.; Brown, G.V.; Chen, H.; Harris, C.L.; Neill, P.A.; Schweikhard, L.; Utter, S.B.; Widmann, K., Phys. Rev. Lett., 85 5090-3 (2000)
- "Improved electron-beam ion-trap lifetime measurement of the 1s2s 3S1 level in N5+ and F7+", Neill, P.A.; Träbert, E.; Beiersdorfer, P.; Brown, G.V.; Harris, C.L.; Utter, S.B.; Wong, K.L., Physica Scripta, 62 141-4 (2000)
- "Multi ion coincidence measurements of methyl chloride following photofragmentation near the chlorine K edge", D.L. Hansen, J. Cotter, G.R. Fisher, K.T. Leung, R. Martin, P. Neill, R.C.C. Perera, M. Simon, Y. Uehara, B. Vanderford, S.B. Whitfield, and D.W. Lindle, J. Phys. B: At. Mol. Opt. Phys., 32, 2629 (1999)