skip to main content

Studying in the U.S.

J-2 and H-4 have an option to take degree or non-degree classes on a full-time or part-time basis without having to change to student status (F-1 or J-1). However, if you would like to change to student status, please discuss this issue with an OISS advisor.

F-2 dependents are allowed to take occasional classes for recreation or self-development. If the goal, however, is to obtain a degree or a certificate, you are strongly advised to apply for a change of status to F-1/J-1 and wait for the approval of your application prior to starting the program! Please talk to the OISS advisor about your plans to ensure that you understand everything.

If you would like to improve your English, please keep in mind that the Intensive English Language Center (IELC) at UNR offers a variety of English classes. Family members of UNR students and scholars receive a 25% tuition discount. There are also ESL classes offered at a local community college (TMCC). For more information please contact IELC or TMCC directly.

Take the next step...