International Alumni Chapter
The International Alumni Chapter is a Chapter of the Alumni Association of the University of Nevada, Reno. The International Alumni Chapter is coordinated by alumni and staff at the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) at the University of Nevada, Reno.
The International Alumni Chapter was formed in 2003 to create a global network of University of Nevada, Reno alumni. The International Alumni Chapter targets alumni who were international students, alumni who live outside the US, and alumni and friends with international experiences and/or interests. The International Chapter organizes activities and events around the international experience, and the goals of the chapter include:
- Creating a forum for connecting alumni who were international students, or who have international interests
- Organizing activities and events that provide networking opportunities
- Promoting cultural awareness in our communities
- Advocating the importance of international education and intercultural experiences
- Connecting with alumni around the globe to enhance international recruitment, career opportunities, and fundraising
- Establishing an endowment to raise funds for scholarships for international students, to support international programs and activities, and to advocate the creation of an international center at the university
- Creating global "Nevada Networks" of alumni in countries around that world that have significant numbers of University of Nevada, Reno alumni
- International Alumni Chapter in NEVADA Silver & Blue magazine
- Graduation Reception for International Students and Scholars
- Anniversary Night Of All Nations and Int'l Alumni Reunion!!!
- Ice skating at NORTHSTAR by Lake Tahoe
- Jakarta, Indonesia Alumni Group Gathering
Anyone interested in the international themes is welcome to join us!
If you know of alumnus or alumna who would like to join the chapter, they may contact Beth Loureiro ('15), Office of International Students & Scholars (OISS), at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay in touch with Your Alma Mater - It's worth it! You may update your address, email, and personal information online at Alumni Association Update Us.
Share Stories And Photos With Us!
Your status as UNR alumni, gives you access to free subscription of Silver & Blue, UNR magazine for alumni. Silver & Blue goes to 270 international alumni at the moment. If you have not received your copy yet, please email Silver & Blue at email@example.com to subscribe. Silver & Blue is always looking for story ideas about exceptional graduates - those who have excelled in their careers or other notable ways. If you would like to contribute a personal story idea or share a picture of a recent gathering of alumni in your country, please email Beth Loureiro at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help Recruit International Students!
When asked, international students most often say they come to the University of Nevada, Reno because a friend, relative, or acquaintance recommended it to them. As alumni, you play an important role in helping us spread the word that UNR is a great place to study, experience the U.S., and grow professionally. The OISS assists with international recruitment and admissions, so please direct interested students to the OISS web site or to our International Admissions and Recruitment Coordinator, Beth Loureiro at email@example.com. There is also very good financial support for international graduate students; over 80% of our international graduate students receive a graduate assistantship, which provides a tuition waiver, stipend, and health insurance.
Intensive English Study Opportunities
Do you have friends or family that would like to enhance their English skills while enjoying the beautiful Reno/Tahoe area? The Intensive English Language Center (IELC) at UNR provides English as a second language classes for international students from over 30 countries. Most of these students transfer to degree programs after completing their English study. Some students, however, simply study English during summer, or come to Reno during the spring or fall terms, to improve their English skills. The IELC offers 5, 8, 10, and 16-week sessions year-round at four levels of instruction (beginning to advanced). The $60.00 application fee will be waived if this promotion is included with the completed application form. For more information, visit the IELC website.