Health Insurance and Health Care

Health care costs in the United States are extremely high and for that reason alone it is highly recommended that all dependents are covered by medical insurance. All J-2 dependents MUST, as the condition of their lawful status, have a health insurance which covers at a minimum:

  • Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per person per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500
  • Expenses associated with medical evacuation in the amount of $10,000
  • A deductible that does not exceed $500

For F-2 and H-4 dependents the health insurance is optional, but highly recommended! It is very dangerous not to seek medical care because you are lacking the insurance coverage. The cost of insurance may seem high, but it is much more costly to pay medical bills if you don't have any insurance. UNR students and scholars may purchase the university student health insurance for their dependents or look for an alternative coverage provided by an outside insurance company. For more information please contact OISS.

Keep in mind though, that most insurance companies do not pay for pre-existing conditions. This refers to a medical condition that began prior to the start of insurance. Many chronic illnesses such as diabetes or asthma may be considered as pre-existing conditions by insurance companies .

Please remember the dependents can also use the Student Health Center located in the Redfield Building on the north end of campus (building 59 on the campus map). It is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays. After hours or on weekends call 784-6598 and the doctor will get in touch with you shortly. The center has doctors and nurses on staff and provides a wide range of medical services. The center charges a very reasonable fee which can then be claimed through your own insurance. If you have purchased the student health insurance, the Student Health Center provides services free of charge. If you have general questions related to medical services, providers or medical bills that you have received, please contact the Student Health Center for assistance. The Student Health Center does not serve minors, however, the children can go the Family Medical Center located next to the Student Health Center .

Be aware that while the state of Nevada provides certain special health programs for its uninsured low income residents, non-immigrants are discouraged from participating in such programs. Taking advantage of federal and state sponsored benefits while in a non-immigrant status, may have a long-term effect on your ability to become a permanent resident at some point of time in a future, and may also have a negative impact on your current stay in the U.S. For more information on this topic please go to point 7 and read the "Public Charge" paragraph. Keep in mind that children born in the U.S. are American citizens and as such are entitled to various health, childcare and other welfare benefits.

Take the next step...