Transfer Student Checklist
Transfer student applications are accepted throughout the year. Students attending an accredited higher education institution with a minimum GPA of 2.5 and 24 or more transferable credits will be considered as "transfer" students to the University of Nevada, Reno. UNR's Transfer Center has transfer agreements set up with many community colleges in Nevada, California, Washington and other states, which students can review prior to applying to the University for specific major and school information.
Students are encouraged to contact the OISS Admission Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions regarding the application process and visa issues.
To apply to the University of Nevada, Reno, international transfer students need to submit the following:
- International Student Application with $95.00 non-refundable application fee. The fee can be paid by check, international postal order, money order, or cashier's check payable to the "Board of Regents." To pay by credit card, students should complete the application fee section on the application or apply on-line.
- Official transcripts showing dates of enrollment, subjects taken, grades received, graduation date and/or certificate of graduation and official transcripts from all higher education institutions attended. Transcripts must be sent directly from the institutions attended to the address below:
University of Nevada, Reno
Office of International Students and Scholars/MS0074
Reno, Nevada 89557 USA
TRANSFER CREDITS: If you are unsure about the number of transferable credits that you may have, you should submit official college transcripts with course descriptions and course outlines (syllabi) for the purpose of course evaluations.
- Verification of having met the English requirement through one of the following options:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 61 (iBT-Internet-Based Test) or 500 (Paper-Based Test). Please indicate 'Institution Code 4844' and 'Undergraduate 00' to Educational Testing Service (ETS) to ensure that the scores are sent directly to UNR.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS - must be academic version) with an equivalency score of 6.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic with an equivalency score of 57.
- Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) score of 510 or higher on the Critical Reading (formerly Verbal) section.
- American College Testing (ACT) score of 21 or higher.
- Completion of English 101 or equivalent from another U.S. higher education institution.
- Receive recommendation for academic study from the Intensive English Language Center (IELC) at UNR.
EXEMPTION: Please note that students coming from the following English-speaking countries are exempt from the English language testing requirements: Antigua, Australia, Bahamas, Belize, British Guyana, Belize, Canada (except for Quebec), Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, St. Vincent, Trinidad & Tobago, and United Kingdom.
- Original financial documents: Financial Data Form accompanied by a bank statement showing a minimum of $33,600 for Fall 2014/Spring 2015 semesters. Original financial documents must be dated within the previous 12 months of application submission and may come from any dependable source, including scholarships, personal funds, or funds from the student's family. Financial documentation should be on bank letterhead.
- Copy of passport biographical page, previous school(s) I-20(s) or DS-2019(s), visa(s), and I-94 card.
- Completed the University of Nevada, Reno International Transfer Verification Form.