Health Insurance Requirement
Health Insurance Requirements for J-1 Visa Holders
J-1 visa holders are required to maintain health insurance throughout the period of stay in the U.S., for themselves and all J-2 dependents that accompany the J- 1. Failure to maintain such health insurance while in the United States will be considered a violation of J-1 status and may lead to termination of the J-1's legal status. The coverage outlined below has been defined by U.S. federal regulations:
Required Coverage for all J-1 visa holders and their J-2 Dependents:
- $50,000 per accident or illness
- Deductible of no more than $500
- Medical evacuation up to $10,000
- Repatriation up to $7500
- Covers pre-existing conditions after a reasonable waiting period
- Includes provision for co-payment that does not exceed 25% co-pay by the Exchange Visitor
- Does not exclude benefits for perils inherent to the activities of the Exchange Visitor's program
- Must be underwritten by an insurance company that meets the rating requirements of the United States Information Agency (USIA) or backed by the full faith and credit of the Exchange Visitor's government.
Self-funded scholars, or those employed by UNR without health insurance benefits, should purchase the insurance prior to coming to U.S. We strongly recommend that all J visitors purchase a short-term travelers insurance to cover at least the first month in U.S. Even if health insurance is offered as part of the benefit package, the coverage may not begin immediately.
Health Insurance Options
- Travelers Insurance purchased in the home country which covers the above requirements.
- Student Insurance Plan offered by the Student Health Center at UNR (annual cost ~$1,900) purchased upon the arrival if the scholar comes at the beginning of the semester.
Health Insurance plan purchased from the following providers:
- Compass Benefit Group: 1-800-767-0169
- HTH Worldwide Insurance Services: 1-888-243-2358
- International Student Insurance: 1-877-758-4391
- VIP Compass Voyager: 1-800-244-1180
- United Chinese Plan, United Healthcare (Scholars from China only): New York Service Center for Chinese Study Fellows
J-1 scholars receiving UNR health insurance are required to buy an additional coverage for Medical Evacuation and Repatriation to their home country. This insurance can be purchased from the following providers:
- A Scholastic Plan offered by BETINS K & K CONSULTING SERVICES: 1-253-238-6374
- Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Benefit Plan offered by the Harbour Group: 1-800-252-8160
- Visitor USA Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Program offered by International SOS: 1-215-942-8000