skip to main content

F-1 Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Application Instructions

Relevant Forms

CPT Form

Students that have been enrolled full-time for at least 1 academic year may apply to participate in Curricular Practical Training (CPT) which is defined as an integral part of an established curriculum (such as: alternate work/study, internship, or cooperative education) for which academic credits are awarded. Graduate students in programs that require an internship are not bound to the "1 academic year full-time" requirement. Students are limited to 20 hours per week employment during fall and spring semesters.

How to Apply:

Step 1: You must have an offer letter from your prospective employer that CLEARLY states the following:

  1. Available position is a temporary internship position
  2. Exact dates of employment
  3. Type of work you will be engaging in
  4. Location (street address) of where you will be working

Step 2: You must enroll in internship credits or a class(es) pertaining to the internship at the University of Nevada, Reno

Step 3: You must have a recommendation from your academic advisor indicating that the internship you wish to engage in is directly related to your field of study. Page 2 of the CPT Form.

Step 4: Once you have done the above 3 steps, make an appointment to see an International Student Advisor at the OISS.

Step 5: For your appointment at OISS, bring the following items with you:

  1. Internship offer letter from employer
  2. Class schedule showing enrollment in a class(es) pertaining to the internship
  3. Recommendation from your academic advisor

Step 6: During your appointment, the International Student Advisor will review your documents and once approved, you will receive an endorsement for CPT on your I-20.

  • F-1 students who receive curricular practical training do NOT need to apply for an EAD card with USCIS; a CPT endorsement on your I-20 is your work authorization.
  • Employment is authorized for ONE EMPLOYER ONLY.

PLEASE NOTE: F-1 students who have received one year or more of full-time CPT are ineligible for optional practical training after program completion. You may not start working before getting the authorization.

Take the next step...