F-2 Family Member Entry to the U.S.
A student in F-1 status who would like to bring his/her spouse and/or unmarried minor children (under 21 years old) to the United States, may ask for a new Form I-20 from OISS. To request an F-2 I-20:
- Complete the request for I-20 form giving the names and birth dates of spouse and dependent children, and provide evidence of financial support (for example, bank statement or letter from a UNR department). A student must show $7000 for the spouse and $3000 for each child.
- The student must endorse the new Form I-20, by completing line 11 on pages 1 and 3 before mailing it to his/her dependent(s). The student should mail the following items to the dependent(s):
- New Form I-20 (all pages)
- Evidence of financial support
- The student should instruct his/her dependent(s) to take these documents to the nearest U.S. consular office or embassy to apply for F-2 visa(s). The U.S. embassy or consulate may not issue a visa unless it is satisfied that the dependent has a residence in a foreign country to which s/he plans to return and has no intention of abandoning.
OISS will need 1 to 2 working days to process this request.
NOTE: Dependents in F-2 status are not allowed to accept employment in the United States. F-1 students must be sure that they have adequate funds to support themselves and their dependents before bringing them to the United States.