- Check in with the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) - submit a copy of your current passport, visa, Form I-94, and Form I-20/DS-2019.
- If you have not permanently removed the Admissions Enrollment Hold from OISS from your MyNEVADA account, complete the following:
- If you have not completed the OISS Online Check-In, sign up for and attend a Check-In Meeting at the OISS to be cleared to enroll in classes.
- Activate your NetID. You will need your NSHE ID number. Contact the Computer Helpdesk in the Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center at (775) 682-5000 if you have trouble activating your account.
- Enroll in classes if you have not done so. Using your NetID, enroll in classes at MyNEVADA. MyNEVADA is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Go to "Student Center" to start enrolling in classes.
- Get a Student ID card at least 1 day after enrolling in classes at the WolfCard Office on the 2nd floor of the Joe Crowley Student Union (JCSU), Room 204, bring identification. There is a $10 fee. (775) 784-4001.
- Pay fees at MyNEVADA for debit/credit card payments only or the Cashier's Office (3rd Floor of the Fitzgerald Student Services Building) for cash, checks or debit/credit card payment. Fees can also be paid by mail if you receive a bill. You can select "Deferred Payment" on MyNEVADA when paying for your tuition to divide your payment into 3 portions.
- Attend orientation: undergraduate or graduate student orientation, International Student Orientation, and/or departmental, as appropriate.
- Let the OISS know within 10 days when you change your contact information: mailing, physical and/or permanent home address(es); email address; and phone number(s). Update your information in MyNEVADA throughout your status as a F-1 or J-1 student.
- Apply for a Social Security number (SSN) at the Social Security Administration office if (1) you have a graduate assistantship/fellowship or (2) you receive on-campus employment. You must present a letter to the Social Security Administration from the OISS and a Social Security application (please refer to Social Security Number Request), together with your passport, Form I-94 and Form I-20/DS-2019 documents. We suggest waiting 10 days after arriving to the U.S. before applying for the SSN.
- Graduate students should visit the Graduate Student Association (GSA) in the JCSU, Suite 302, within their first few days on campus. They will help you meet new fellow graduate students, obtain information about housing and offer programs that can help you settle into your new life in Reno.
- Get a State ID or Nevada driver license at the Department of Motor Vehicles. Go to Nevada DMV: New Drivers Licenses for an online Driver's Handbook as you will need to take a written test. If you are moving to Nevada from another state with a driver license and vehicle, you must change your driver license and vehicle registration to Nevada within 30 days of moving to Nevada to avoid fines.
- Get a Post Office Box (P.O. Box) at the University Station Post Office (1674 N. Virginia St.).
- Open a bank account. You will need a street address or P.O. Box to open a bank account.
Please be sure to take your passport, visa, Form I-20/DS-2019, Form I-94 and any other form of identification you may have to all of these places. Please contact OISS by calling 775-784-6874 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.