The information below has been compiled from a variety of sources. If the reader has access to information that can be documented and that will correct or add to this woman’s biographical information, please contact the Nevada Women’s History Project.
Born: 31 Jan 1927 (Yerington NV)
Died: 17 July 2004 (Reno NV)
Burial: Reno NV
Maiden Name: Jackalyn Margaret “Jackie” Ross
Race/nationality/ethnic background: Caucasian
Married: 23 June 1946 (Carson City, NV)
Children: John Paul, Shelia, Gail, Michelle, Kevin, Marie, Kathleen
Primary city and county of residence and work: Carson City NV, Scotsdale AZ, Reno, NV
Major fields of work: First Lady, Drug and Alcoholism Counselor
Other role identities: Wife and Mother
Obituary: Can not be displayed.
- “Well known Carson Couple Wed at Afternoon Church Rite.” Reno Evening Gazette 28 June 1946:14. Print.
- “The Wives of State Officials Speak: Some Have Already Fitted into Pattern, Others Seek Place.” Reno Evening Gazette 12 Jan. 1963:2. Print.
- “First Ladies prepare for Centennial.” Reno Evening Gazette 7 Oct. 1964:14. Print.
- “She sets ‘em up.” Reno Evening Gazette 22 April 1966:12. Print.
- “Nevada’s next First Lady.” Nevada State Journal [Reno] 1 Jan. 1967:16. Print.
- “Inaugural Ball involves all the Laxalts.” Nevada State Journal [Reno] 1 Jan. 1967:18. Print.
- “Prominent ladies of ball gowns.” Nevada Appeal [Carson City] 5 Jan. 1967:6. Print.
- “In Carson City-Candid glimpses of a new housewife in an old mansion.” Nevada State Journal [Reno] 8 Jan. 1967:23. Print.
- “Nevada Legislators go to a Basque party.” Nevada State Journal [Reno] 1 Mar. 1967:9. Print.
- “Governor’s Mansion aglow with decorations.” Nevada State Journal [Reno] 21 Dec. 1969:28. Print.
- Myles, Myrtle Tate. “Paul Dominique Laxalt.” Nevada’s Governors: From Territorial Days to the Present, 1860-1971. Sparks, NV: Western Printing & Publishing Company, 1972. 130-132. Print.
- “Former first lady fights against alcohol.” Nevada State Journal [Reno] 15 Oct5. 1981:1. Print.
- “Ex-first lady to help others battle alcoholism.” Nevada State Journal [Reno] 23 Oct. 1981:18. Print.
- “Governor’s Kids roll call.” Reno Evening Gazette 2 Nov 1997, sec B:2. Print.
- “Elegant Tea Party honors First Ladies. “Las Vegas Review Journal 27 Oct. 1999, sec. E: 7. Print.
- Powers, Lenita. “All the Governor’s Wives: Jackie Laxalt.“ Nevada State Journal [Reno] 30 Nov. 1981: 27-28. Print.
- “Jackalyn Ross Laxalt, Former First Lady, dies.” Nevada Appeal [Carson City] 18 July 2004, sec. A: 4. Print.
- “Jackalyn R. Laxalt.” Mason Valley News [Yerington] 23 July 2004, sec. A: 3. Print.
- History of the Governor’s Mansion and the Nevada State Capitol. 1991, p. 33.
- Nylen, Robert A., and Guy Louis Rocha. “Jackalyn (Ross) Laxalt.” State of Nevada: The Historical Governor’s Mansion. Carson City, Nevada: Dema Guinn, the Nevada Commission on Tourism, Nevada Magazine, and the Nevada Department of Cultural Affairs, 2005.43. Print.
- Harpster, Jack. “Son of a Basque Sheepherder: Governor Paul Laxalt.” 100 Years in the Nevada Governor’s Mansion Las Vegas, NV: Stephens Press, LLC, 2009.152-165. Print.