Lisa Thomas, Ph.D., R.N., CNE
- BSN University of Nevada, Reno
- MS in Nursing Education at the University of Nevada, Reno
- Ph.D. in Nursing/Health Policy at University of California San Francisco in June of 2007
My dissertation research studied the sociodemographic, market, and political factors that influence nurses who work in non-nursing jobs. My current program of research involves prevention of blood borne pathogen exposures in the acute care setting. Professionally, I've also been involved in health care safety research and have published in the healthcare safety literature.
- Black, L.. (2013). Ditch the pinch: Bilateral exposure injuries during subcutaneous injection. American Journal of Infection Control. (Epub ahead of print). doi: 10.1016/j.ajic.2012.10.017
- McClure, E. & Black, L. (2013). The Value of Preceptor Involvement in the Nursing Student Clinical Experience. Journal of Nursing Education, 52(6), 335-34. doi: 10.3928/01484834-20130412
- Hicks, V. & Black, L. (2013). Evaluation, identification, and management of pediatric strokes in the emergency room using a pathway algorithm. Journal of Emergency Nursing, 39(2), 132-137. doi: 10.1016/j.jen.2012.11.013
- Black, L. (2012). Chinks in the armor. Percutaneous injuries from hollow-bore safety engineered sharps devices. American Journal of Infection Control, 41(5), 427-432. doi: 10.1016/j.ajic.2012.05.025
- Black, L., Parker, G., & Jagger, J. (2012). Chinks in the armor. Activation patterns of hollow bore safety engineered devices. Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology, 38(3), 842-844. doi: 10.1086/666630
- Tellez, M.S., Black, L.M., Tinoco, A. (2011). California Hispanic nurses: Analysis of 1997, 2004, 2006, 2008 survey data. Policy, Politics, and Nursing Practice, 12(3), 150-158. doi: 10.1177/1527154411417452
- Black, L. (2011). Tragedy into policy: a quantitative study of nurses' attitudes toward patient advocacy activities. American Journal of Nursing, 111(6), 26-35. doi: 10.1097/01.NAJ0000398537.06542.c0
- Black, L., Spetz, J. & Harrington, C. (2010). Nurses who do not nurse: Factors that predict non-nursing work in the US Registered Nursing Labor Market. Nursing Economics, 28(4), 245-254.
- Black, L, Spetz, J. & Harrington, C. (2008). Nurses Working Outside of Nursing: Societal Trend or Workplace Crisis? Policy, Politics, and Nursing Practice, 9(3), 143-157. doi: 10.117/1527154408319288
My mission in nursing education is to prepare students to be excellent nurses who will excel personally and professionally and become tomorrow's nursing leaders.
I have two amazing daughters. My oldest recently graduated from the Orvis School of Nursing baccalaureate program in 2012. My younger daughter graduated from McQueen High School in 2013, and is also planning to pursue a nursing degree at the University of Nevada, Reno.
- Nursing 300: Medical Math and Medical Terminology
- Nursing 317: Care of the Individual: Theory
- Nursing 318: Care of the Individual: Practicum
- Nursing 485: Trends and Issues in Nursing
- Nursing 736: Health Policy and Social Justice
I am active with the legislative committee of the Nevada Nurses Association and have been extensively involved with several local, national and international healthcare worker safety initiatives.