Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- More Info: Visit the general course catalog
BSN Fast Facts
- The NCLEX pass rate has been above 95 percent for the last seven graduating BSN classes at the University of Nevada, Reno.
- The Orvis School of Nursing offers 64 students admission to the nursing major each spring and each fall.
- To apply to the Orvis School of Nursing you must be a student at the University of Nevada, Reno. Here's how to apply to the University.
- Applicants to the nursing major must have a 3.0 or better GPA on selected prenursing coursework. The Orvis School of Nursing GPA worksheet can help calculate this.
This Bachelor of Science in Nursing program (BSN) is designed for high school graduates, as well as graduates of associate degree and diploma nursing programs. After completing the program and passing the RN-NCLEX -- the exam required to obtain a nurse's license -- graduates will be eligible for entry-level nursing positions in public health agencies, schools, hospitals and other health care agencies. These graduates may also earn commissioned status in the military services or admission to a graduate program.
The BSN program requires four semesters of coursework and admissions occur in both the spring and fall semesters. The program is approved by the Nevada State Board of Nursing and accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
Applying to the BSN Program
Applicants to the nursing major must be officially admitted to the University of Nevada, Reno as a prenursing major for the current semester. Students who are not currently enrolled at the University will need to reapply. Here is more information on applying to the University of Nevada, Reno.
Students should ensure all program prerequisites are met before submitting an application. Please review the 2016-2017 BSN Prerequisite Summary carefully. (Looking for last year's version? Here is the 2015-2016 BSN Prerequisite Summary.)
Applications to the University and transcript evaluations cannot be rushed to meet the nursing application deadline. Please plan ahead.
Here are some key details on the selection process:
- Meeting the minimum qualifications for application does not guarantee admission to the nursing major.
- Applications to the nursing major will be initially reviewed based on academic performance and HESI scores, ranked highest to lowest.
- Prerequisite courses to the nursing program must have been completed with a C grade or better for the applicant to be considered, but students may be eligible to retake courses to fulfill this requirement -- see the Class Repeat Policy for details.
- Preference may be given to students who have graduated from a Nevada high school.
The admitting criteria is subject to change. It is the applicant's responsibility to review the criteria on a regular basis.
All interviews are held at the University of Nevada, Reno. If you are selected for an interview, the date and time will be included with the invitation. Interview dates are not negotiable and cannot be rescheduled.
While qualified students may apply to the Orvis School of Nursing undergraduate program multiple times, applicants are limited to a maximum of two admission interviews. Once the two admission interviews have been conducted, admission applications will no longer be accepted. The Admissions, Progressions & Student Affairs (APSA) committee will review advisor-supported petitions for any document-supported exceptions.
If you have questions regarding the program or your application, please make an appointment to see an adviser. See the table below for contact details.
||Division of Health Sciences Student Center
(Voice message only)
|Seeking second bachelor's degree
||Kim Baxter (Last Name A - M)
Julie Woodard (Last Name N - Z)
(already a registered nurse)
Class Repeat Policy
For admission purposes, the grades for the first two enrollment attempts in a given course will be averaged for the undergraduate BSN major admission application. Any prerequisite required for the nursing major application is subject to this policy. Students can enroll in any course multiple times to better comprehend the class content, but only the first two enrollments will be used to calculate the prerequisite GPA for admission.
Any grade of W (withdrawal) or R (grade replacement) will count as an enrollment attempt. If there is no grade in the first two enrollment attempts, the student is not eligible to apply to the major. In addition, the student is not eligible to apply if the first attempt is below a C grade and the second attempt is in progress. The student must wait to apply until the grades for the first two enrollment attempts have been recorded.
The Orvis School of Nursing implements differential fees for courses required for the BSN, RN-to-BSN, MSN, BSN-to-DNP, post-MSN DNP degree programs and post-MSN certificate programs. That means the school charges a per credit hour fee in addition to the per credit hour tuition charged by the University for all NURS-prefix courses required in the respective program of study. Differential fees do not apply to any courses taken by prenursing students.
As indicated by Board of Regents policy, 15% of all revenue generated by differential fees goes directly toward financial aid for Orvis School of Nursing students. The remaining revenue generated from differential fees is used for growth and enhancement of the programs offered through the Orvis School of Nursing.
Related Degrees and Programs
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- RN to BSN
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
- Family Nurse Practitioner, Advanced Graduate Certificate
- Clinical Nurse Leader, Advanced Graduate Certificate
- Nursing Education, Advanced Graduate Certificate
- Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner, Advanced Graduate Certificate
- Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, Advanced Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science in Nursing/Master of Public Health (MSN/MPH)
Contact Orvis School of Nursing
|Location||William N. Pennington Health Sciences Building|
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno, NV 89557