The NNELI team has completed the application cycle for the NNELI Pre-Service Spring 2015 Cohort.
Congratulations to the successful applicants!
NNELI for Pre-service Teachers gives selected students training to procure an ESL Endorsement as part of their undergraduate teacher licensure program at the University of Nevada, Reno. The NNELI program of study has been designed in consortium with NNELI's valued partner, Washoe County School District, and is a highly-valued preparation program for teaching in the District.
In addition to the coursework for ESL endorsement, NNELI Pre-service cohort members will take two specialized courses which focus on working with English Learners within Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) content-based disciplines and Academic Language Development in STEM. Students in the College of Education at the University of Nevada, Reno who have been accepted into the Integrated Elementary Teaching Program or Secondary Teacher Education Program at the undergraduate level may be eligible to apply.
- Have you been accepted into an undergraduate Elementary or Secondary Teacher Education (Math or Science content) Program or are you currently applying to enter a licensure program at the University of Nevada, Reno?
- Are you a Spanish speaker or have you studied Spanish? (Not required, but preferred.)
The NNELI program gives selected students financial assistance for six courses and books:
- Language Acquisition, Development and Learning
- Teaching Methods
- Teaching Spanish Speakers
- Second Language Assessment
- Curriculum & Development-STEM Inquiry for EL (STEM-SI)
- Academic Language with EL (AL-EL)