NNELI for Pre-service Teachers gives selected students training to procure an ESL Endorsement as part of their teacher licensure program at the University of Nevada, Reno. The NNELI program of study was designed in consortium with NNELI's valued partner, Washoe County School District, and is a highly-valued preparation program for teaching in the District.
In addition to the coursework for ESL endorsement, NNELI Pre-service cohort members complete take two specialized courses which focus on working with English Learners within Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) content-based disciplines and Academic Language Development in STEM.
The NNELI program gives selected students financial assistance for six courses and books:
- Language Acquisition, Development and Learning
- Teaching Methods
- Teaching Spanish Speakers
- Second Language Assessment
- Curriculum & Development-STEM Inquiry for EL (STEM-SI)
- Academic Language with EL (AL-EL)