Student Satellite Programs
Satellite Launch & Service Providers
- AMSAT: The Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation. An amateur group with decades of experience in building, launching, and operating amaetur satellites, especially those with a Ham radio feature.
- OSSS: One Stop Satellite Solutions company providing CubeSat services and products.
- AeroAstro: A company specializing in micro/pico satellites.
Radio & Communications Equipment
- ARRL: Amateur Radio Relay League. National association for amateur radio enthusiasts. They cover licensing activities, provide study guides and testing services, and their website is a good general reference for Ham Radio activities.
- Hamquick.com Online resource with tutorials
- Homing In A resouce for radio direction finding methods, equipment, and activities.
- Kenwood Manufacturer of amateur radio equipment used in this project.
- Alinco Manufacturer of amateur radio equipment used in this project.
- Yaesu Manufacturer of amateur radio equipment used in this project.
- Ham University Software for studying for Technicians license-including morse code (CW) software.
- Ham Radio Online: General Ham website.
- RF Parts Company: An online source of various RF components, cable, etc.
- MaxStream: A manufacturer of 900 MHz and 2.4 GHz wireless modems
- Microhard Systems: A manufacturer of 900 MHz and 2.4 GHz wireless radios & modems
- FreeWave Technologies: A manufacturer of 900 MHz and 2.4 GHz wireless radios & modems
Orbital Mechanics & Mission Design
- Heavens Above: Online (Java) satellite tracking and information service. Good source for predicting pass-overs and communication opportunities.
APRS (GPS+Ham Radio)
- APRS Automated Position Reporting System. Website dedicated to APRS and its use in GPS telemetry.
- APRS Automated Position Reporting System. Website dedicated to APRS and its use in GPS telemetry. Rutgers University.
- TAPR Tuscon Area Packet Radio. Website with lots of APRS and packet radio information, resources, and even circuit kits.
- Byonics A company that makes the TinyTrak, a cheap APRS beacon encoder kit for use with any radio (ham, FRS, or even cell phone).
- GCTelecomar A company that makes the Smart Tracker, another cheap APRS beacon encoder kit for use with any radio (similar to TinyTrak).
- uWeather A company that makes APRS weather station beacon kits with various data inputs.
- APRS+SA Windows based APRS mapping software that works directly with the DeLorme Street Atlas software.
- APRS+SA Documentation An online help site by VE5DGD for for APRS+SA program operation.
GPS & Mapping
- GPS Tutorial: An excellent online tutorial (moderately technical) on the Trimble website.
- Trimble: Manufacturer of small and cheap OEM GPS modules such as the Lassen SQ.
- TMS: Authorized seller of Trimble GPS products.
- GPS City An online source of GPS equipment.
- Garmin Manufacturer of GPS units that are used in this project.
- DeLorme Manufacturer of mapping software.
- Microsoft MapPoint Software that can be used for integrating customized mapping features into your own Visual BASIC programs via the object feature. The EOSS program uses this in the Balloon Track software along with APRS radio telemetry to predict flight paths and to track balloons during missions.
- CCS: Custom Computer Services, Inc., maker of PIC programming systems. Including educational pricing.
Electronics, Computing, and Data Acquisition
- JDR Microdevices An online source of various computer and electronics equipment.
- VersaLogic A source for embedded and single-board conputers. These run common operating systems and incorporate data acquisition and control inputs as well as networking capabilities.
- DiskOnChip An online supplier for the DiskOnChip memory for the VersaLogic computers.
- TigerDirect.com An online source of various computer equipment, including Wireless Networking supplies.
- Gorilla Systems An online source of computer equipment, including embedded and single board computers.
- DC Motors An online tutorial on the principles of DC electrical motors from Carnegie Mellon University.
- Pasternack: A souce of various RF connectors, including the hard-to-find Reverse SMA type used in Wireless netoworking products.
- Kwan Motorsystems: Maker and seller of DC motor speed controllers (H-Bridge) that can handle up to 100A (70A continuous) of motor current draw and is controllable using standard Radio Control signals (Pulse Code Modulation).
- Kokam USA: Manufacturer of Lithium Polymer (LiPo) batteries
- FMA Direct: Purveyor of Kokam LiPo batteries
- Gold Peak Batteries International website giving general data on their batteries. Gold Peak Batteries NA North America website giving general data on their batteries. Its weird, but their websites don't all have the same data sources for their products, making it hard to find. Data sheet on the Gold Peak GP330SCH sub-C batteries (3300 mAh batteries).
Misc. Tools & Equipment
- Sherline Products Manufacturer of miniature machine tool lathes and vertical milling equipment. Ideal for small scale work.
- eMachineTool.com Source of various tools (including Sherline products).
- SDP/SI: Source of various mechanical components, including gears, pulleys, gearheads, belts, motors, etc.
- Solarbotics Source of various robitics related equipment and parts. Including motors, actuators, etc.