ScienceFIT is available to students with the following majors:
- Atmospheric Sciences
- Geological Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Molecular Microbiology & Immunology
What is ScienceFIT?
ScienceFIT (previously known as BioFIT) is a five-day, intensive academic program designed to increase success for incoming College of Science freshmen.
The program offers a glimpse into the University's rigorous academic expectations and college life prior to the start of the semester.
ScienceFIT participants will:
- Get a jump start on required science course content
- CHEM 121 OR CHEM 201 and a MATH course
- Attend lectures from the faculty who teach required first-year science courses
- Get hands-on science lab experiences
- Participate in review sessions facilitated by faculty, take exams, and participate in exam results discussions
- Learn and review critical study skills, notetaking skills, learning strategies, and available campus resources for success
- Become familiar with the University campus - where buildings are located, travel time, etc.
- Become familiar with the University "classroom" setting - lecture and lab based learning
- Work and study in groups with peers
- Interact with faculty from your department, staff, and peer mentors
- Become familiar with using on-line course components, technology, and resources such as WebCampus and clickers
What To Bring:
- Planner/calendar (electronic or paper)
- #2 Pencils
- Closed toed shoes to wear during the science labs
- Laptop computer and accessories (see below)
- Headphones or earbuds for your laptop
- Power cord or back up battery for laptop
- Scientific, non-programmable calculator (for example, a TI 30)