*Students with declared majors under the College Agriculture, Biotechnology & Natural Resources are REQUIRED to attend CABNRFIT and will be enrolled in ABNR 109 (S/U, 1 credit) as part of the Advanced Registration process. Students in the College of Agriculture, Biotechnology & Natural Resources do not need to fill out the NevadaFIT application.
CABNRFIT is available to students with the following majors:
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Biotechnology B.S./M.S.
- Nutritional Sciences (Dietetics or Nutritional Science)
- Environmental Science
- Forest Management & Ecology
- Wildlife Ecology & Conservation
- Agricultural Science
- Veterinary Science
- Rangeland Ecology & Management
What is CABNRFIT?
CABNRFIT is a college immersion program that is designed to give you the tools to succeed as an incoming freshman student majoring in the College of Agriculture, Biotechnology, and Natural Sciences (CABNR). We will blend classroom, hands-on laboratory experiences, and research laboratory tours to put a "real-world" context to your education. This intensive, six day bootcamp experience will prepare you for your freshman year and beyond. You will interact with student mentors, professors, advisors and researchers who will push you to apply your knowledge of math, chemistry, and biology to get a glimpse of the academic expectations and research experiences that await you as an incoming student.
What is ABNR 109?
ALL incoming freshmen in the College of Agriculture, Biotechnology & Natural Resources will be enrolled into the ABNR course, ABNR 109 (1 credit, S/U), for Fall 2017 as part of the Advanced Registration process.
Housing for CABNRFIT:
Participants who have been approved as residents in one of the University's residence halls for the academic year can choose to move into their assigned room on August 19, 2017 (Saturday) for an additional $158.75 housing fee at your designated check-in time. You will receive your housing assignment from the Housing Office and designate your check-in time in August.
NOTE: Guests (family members, friends, etc) are not allowed in residence halls rooms without the student present. WolfCards (University's photo ID card for students) are required to access the residence hall building and room after the initial check-in; the WolfCard office is located on the 2nd floor of the Joe Crowley Student Union. Make sure to bring a valid U.S. State or Federally issued photo ID or passport. This is something you can accomplish at Summer Orientation.
Please contact the Housing Office at (775) 784-1113 or email email@example.com with any additional questions.
More information on Housing and Parking to come.
2017 CABNRFIT Program Schedule
We are working on developing the 2017 CABNRFIT Schedule - but you can review our 2016 schedules (please note last year we had three different camps however for 2017 we will ONLY have one, CABNRFIT) to get an idea of what to expect.
View the 2016 BMB-FIT schedule.
CABNRFIT participants will:
- Get a jump start on required course content
- Participate in review sessions, take exams, and exam results discussions
- Complete homework assignments
- Be taught study and life skills that will put you on a path to early academic success.
- Be teamed with student mentors who will help you through your camp experience and beyond.
- Get to know the professors who actually teach your courses.
- Learn to efficiently navigate campus.
- Be introduced to the various academic resources and student services available to you.
- Learn about career opportunities in your chosen field of study.
- Be introduced to faculty and student research projects.
- Learn about the various extracurricular activities available in CABNR and the University.
- Become familiar with the University classroom setting
- Work and study in groups with your peers
- Interact with faculty from your department, your academic advisors, and Pack Mentors (upperclassmen in your major)
- Become familiar with using on-line course components, technology, and resources such as WebCampus
What To Bring:
- School Supplies (pen, pencil, notebook, etc.)
- Comfortable Clothing and Shoes