‘Grow Your Own, Nevada!’ classes return this month
Cooperative Extension’s gardening classes available in 14 cities on Mondays, July 8 – Aug. 26
Nevadans can learn to grow safe, fresh, organic produce at home and in school and community gardens without spending a lot of money. University of Nevada Cooperative Extension will help show residents how during eight "Grow Your Own, Nevada!" gardening classes featuring "back-to-basics" best practices for producing bountiful harvests. Classes will be presented Mondays, 2:30 - 4:30 p.m., July 8 - Aug. 26, live in Reno and video-conferenced to Extension offices throughout the state.
This summer session is focused on getting Nevadans of all ages away from sedentary lifestyles and outside into the garden. All students are welcome, even ones who may not have considered learning to garden before due to lack of experience or space.
"Many communities in Nevada are considered 'food deserts,' because they have limited access to fresh, healthy foods," said Heidi Kratsch, Cooperative Extension horticulture specialist. "We're trying to change that by offering these courses to help Nevadans turn their backyards, schoolyards and community spaces into sustainable, edible gardens."
For those attending the classes in Reno, the July 8 class is free; each additional class is $15; or participants can preregister to take all eight classes for a flat fee of $50. Local K-12 teachers may attend for free with proper identification. At other locations, where the classes will be available via video-conference, fees vary from free to $15 per course.
- July 8: A Community of Gardeners Film & Panel Discussion
- July 15: Composting in Small Places
- July 22: Reducing Food Safety Risks in Home, School and Community Gardens
- July 29: Kids in the Garden
- Aug. 5: What's Wrong with My Plant?
- Aug. 12: Urban Organic Farming
- Aug. 19: Native Plants for Garden Pollinators
- Aug. 26: Garden Design & Function
The classes are available at the following Cooperative Extension offices:
- 815 N. Second St., Battle Mountain, 775-635-5565
- 2621 Northgate Lane, Ste. 15, Carson City, 775-887-2252
- 701 Walnut St., Elko, 775-738-7291
- 701 S. Main St., Eureka, 775-237-5326
- 111 Scheckler Road, Fallon, 775-423-5121
- 1325 Waterloo Lane, Gardnerville, 775-782-9960
- 314 Fifth St., Hawthorne, 775-945-3444
- 810 Sixth St., Lovelock, 775-273-2923
- 100 Academic Way, Owyhee, 775-385-9164
- 1651 E. Calvada Blvd., Pahrump, 775-727-5532
- 4955 Energy Way, Reno, 775-784-4848
- 1 Frankie St. Old Courthouse, Tonopah, 775-482-6794
- 1085 Fairgrounds Road, Winnemucca, 775-623-6304
- 504 S. Main St., Yerington, 775-463-6541
To register to attend Grow Your Own, Nevada! classes in Reno, make sure to fill out the form, and mail or bring it with payment made out to Board of Regents to Cooperative Extension, 4955 Energy Way, Reno. To attend a class at another location, call the county Cooperative Extension office directly.
For more information, visit the Grow Your Own, Nevada! Website. Persons in need of special accommodations should contact 775-784-4848 or email@example.com at least three days prior to the first day of the course.