The Clubs and Organizations Award Banquet was recently held to honor and celebrate the accomplishments made by students in organizations at the University of Nevada, Reno. Nearly 60 clubs and individuals of the Associated Students of the University (ASUN) were nominated for six possible awards including Outstanding Advisor of the Year, Outstanding Club Leader of the Year, Outstanding Club of the Year, Outstanding Community Service of the Year, Outstanding New Club of the Year and Outstanding Program of the Year.
Derek Dolence, winner of the Outstanding Club Leader of the Year award for Men's Soccer, said he couldn't be happier.
"It means a lot to me to get this award," Dolence said. "The club wasn't doing well because so many members graduated, so with the help of some of the guys, I stepped up and took the role of pulling it back together."
His peers and other members of the club nominated Dolence through written letters stating why they felt he deserved the award. "I took the club from a deficit to a profit and brought a new coaching staff together after our coach left last season," Dolence said. "It was a lot of hard work."
After having more than 50 people tryout this year, they were able to put a solid team together to compete against schools like University of California, Davis, University of the Pacific and more. Having a club team means a lot to the athletes because it gives them a chance to continue doing what they love.
"The University does not have a men's collegiate program so for the students who are passionate about soccer, it gives them an opportunity to play and relate to other students who share the same passion and love for the game," Dolence said. In addition to Dolence, there were five other winners honored at the banquet. The winners and awards are as follows:
- Outstanding Club of the Year (2012 – 2013): Lambda Phi Xi
- Outstanding Community Service of the Year (2012 – 2013): Nevada Pre-Dental Society
- Outstanding Club Leader of the Year (2012 – 2013): Derek Dolence, Men's Soccer
- Outstanding New Club of the Year (2012 – 2013): Collegiate DECA (prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, hospitality and management.
- Outstanding Program of the Year (2012 – 2013): Nevada Pre-Dental Society
- Outstanding Advisor of the Year (2012 – 2013): Susan Harris, Associated Students of Gerontology
To join a club on campus, visit the ASUN Clubs page.