There's a treat for area film-lovers coming up later this month, as Reno will again serve as one of more than 300 cities across six continents to host the 15th Annual Manhattan Short Film Festival.
The Sept. 28 and 29 local presentation of this growing global film experience is made possible through the partnership of 88.7 KUNR/Reno Public Radio and the Joe Crowley Student Union on the campus of the University of Nevada, Reno.
The event will offer local audiences the chance to view - and vote on - the 10 short film finalists. The films were selected from among hundreds of entries from 50 countries by the Manhattan Film Festival, billed as the world's first global film festival. The selected films range in length from eight to 19 minutes. Results will be tabulated from the week of worldwide in-theater voting, with the winning film announced online on Oct. 8.
Four Reno screenings of the 10-film series are offered: Friday, Sept. 28, at 7 p.m.; and Saturday, Sept. 29 at 4 p.m., 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. All showings are at the Joe Crowley Student Union Theater on the University of Nevada, Reno Campus. The films are not rated, but include some intense scenes and mature themes.
KUNR is the new home for the Manhattan Short Film Festival, having received the project (along with screenings of next year's Oscar-nominated short films) from the Reno Film Festival, which closed earlier this year after more than a decade of local film presentations that included the annual fall screenings of the Manhattan Short Film Festival.
"Reno was among the cities to host the first festival 15 years ago, and KUNR is honored to have the Reno Film Festival entrust us with it to continue this local cultural tradition," said KUNR General Manager David Stipech. "We're fortunate to be partnering with 'The Joe' and its great theater venue on the University campus."
The official Festival trailer can be viewed at kunr.org. The 10 films selected for the 2012 Festival screening and voting are (with country and film length):
- The Devil's Ballroom (Norway/15:30) - On a perilous journey to the North Pole, an Arctic explorer makes a critical decision with lifelong consequences.
- A Curious Conjunction of Coincidences (The Netherlands/8:34) - Bad luck connects three men together even though they live in different centuries.
- Where Does The Sea Flow (Russia, world premier/14:00) - A mother comes to grips with a precocious young daughter and the violent circumstances of her birth.
- Two & Two USA Premier (UK/8:25) - In a school run by an authoritarian regime, a seemingly ridiculous decree becomes a syllabus for terror.
- Cluck (Ireland/18:57) - Feathers are ruffled at the orphanage when a new arrival threatens to upset the pecking order
- Behind The Mirrors (Peru/12:10) - When one of the night's customers at a disreputable motel leaves an unexpected mess, the young manager sees an opportunity that may change his family's fortunes forever.
- The Elaborate End of Robert Ebb (France/UK/12:50) - A monster terrorizes a town and induces collective hysteria with hilarious results.
- Superman, Spiderman or Batman (Romania/11:00) - Inspired by his favorite comic book heroes, a young boy tries to save the day.
- '92 Skybox Alonzo Mourning Rookie Card (USA/12:00) - Brothers Jim and Dave sort out their differences in extreme fashion when their father dies.
- Voice Over (Spain/9:50) - A series of life-threatening experiences pale in comparison to a situation that requires real courage.
Seating is limited and advance purchase is highly recommended. Tickets and more information are available online at kunr.org for $10 plus a minimal online fee. Tickets are also available at the Joe Crowley Student Union, where students can purchase discounted tickets in advance.
Reno Public Radio is an NPR member station providing the region with local and national news, information, entertainment, music and other cultural and community programming. A listener-supported, nonprofit station, KUNR is licensed to the Board of Regents of the Nevada System of Higher Education, and has broadcast from the campus of the University of Nevada, Reno, since 1963.
KUNR's programming is enjoyed in communities throughout the 100,000-plus square miles of northern Nevada and northeastern California via a network of transmitters and translators on the following FM frequencies: Nevada: 88.7 Reno/Sparks/Carson; 100.5 Battle Mountain; 91.5 KNCC: Elko; 90.9 Eureka; 91.5 Hawthorne; 89.9 Incline Village; 89.9 Lovelock; 91.7 Verdi; 91.3 Winnemucca; 91.9 Yerington and 101.5 Crescent Valley. California: 90.9 Bishop; 97.5 Crestview (Mammoth Lakes); 91.9 Susanville; 88.1 Truckee; 95.3 Tom's Place.
About the Joe Crowley Student Union
The Joe Crowley Student Union is at the heart of the University of Nevada, Reno community. Aspiring to be the living room of the University, visitors are free to relax near one of the building's five fireplaces or attend some of the many lectures, student discussions or other events happening daily. Visitors can also grab a meal at the 15th St. Food Court, purchase Nevada gear at Nevada Wolf Shop (the official bookstore), or renew their vehicle registration at the DMV kiosk. The Joe Crowley Student Union houses a 220-seat theater, a 10,000-square-foot ballroom, a cozy Great Room and numerous other indoor and outdoor performance spaces. The University and Reno community can also take advantage of multiple meeting spaces in the building.
The Joe Crowley Student Union is an environmentally sustainable building with many 'green' aspects. The facility is designed to maximize daylight usage, use recycled materials, and minimize energy and water usage.