'Defenders of Mackay Stadium' Homecoming celebration on tap
Superhero themed Homecoming offers family-friendly events, celebrates campus traditions.
September 27, 2012
By Staff Reports
Homecoming 2012's theme is the superhero-based, "Defenders of Mackay Stadium." Events run from Oct. 1-6.
The Associated Students of the University of Nevada (ASUN) will host the annual homecoming celebration week, Oct. 1-6. Celebrating its 92nd year, the week's events will include a parade and bonfire as well as a variety of family-friendly activities.
"Homecoming is always a big deal for students and the community," ASUN Director of Traditions Shaun Carroll said. "We look forward to putting on some great events in support of the Wolf Pack and the University."
Among the events open to the community is the annual homecoming parade, starting at 9 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 6. A portion of North Virginia Street will be closed from 8-10 a.m. for the parade. In addition, at 6 p.m., Friday, Oct. 5, ASUN will host a bonfire with free food, fireworks, flame throwers and carnival games.
"Not only is homecoming a time to celebrate the Wolf Pack, it's a time to recognize the hard-working student organizations on campus and to honor the history of our amazing campus," Carroll said. "Many of our student organizations engage in community events. We want homecoming to be a celebration for students as well as the community."
Schedule of events open to the community:
- Pack Gives Back - 7 p.m., Oct. 4 in the Davidson Math and Science Center building, Room 110. The community is invited to watch the University's top students compete for the title of Nevada's King and Queen. Along with the competition, a charity raffle will be held at the end of the event.
- Bonfire - 6 p.m., Oct. 5, Dirt parking lot behind the Center for Molecular Medicine building. Wolf Pack fans, young and old, are invited to the annual bonfire. Watch flame throwers, play carnival games and eat free food.
- Wolf Trot - 8 a.m., Oct. 6, Joe Crowley Student Union. This annual 5k takes participants all over campus. General public registration costs $30 before Sept. 30 and $35 afterward. Runner registration begins at 6 a.m. in front of the Joe Crowley Student Union.
- Parade - 9 a.m., Oct. 6, Ninth Street and North Virginia Street. All parade floats are designed and created by University of Nevada, Reno students. The community is invited to enjoy the parade and get a view of University students' creativity and school spirit.
- Nevada vs. Wyoming football game - 4:05 p.m., Oct. 6. The Nevada Wolf Pack takes on the Wyoming Cowboys. Homecoming king and queen will be crowned and are nominated for their involvement on campus and their volunteer activities and academic performance.
Celebrate the many 2012 homecoming traditions at the University of Nevada, Reno.