Record-breaking commencement awards over 2,000 degrees
The University of Nevada, Reno's Spring Commencement will confer 2,012 degrees and certificates, the largest number of graduation applicants in the University's history. There will be two ceremonies, one for advanced-degree recipients on Friday, May 13 and one for bachelor-degree recipients on Saturday, May 14. Both ceremonies will be on the University's historic Quadrangle, located on the southern part of campus.
During the University's 121st Commencement, 1,495 bachelor degrees and 517 advanced-degree certificates (master's and doctoral degrees and education specialist certificates), will be awarded. The University awarded 1,997 for the spring 2010 ceremony.
The procession for advanced degrees, on Friday, May 13, begins at 4:45 p.m. The approximately one-hour-long ceremony concludes with the recession.
The bachelor's-degree ceremony, on Saturday, May 14, begins at 8:15 a.m. Students and faculty leaders will assemble for Commencement at 8 a.m. University Provost Marc Johnson will welcome attendees. The ceremony will conclude with the recession around noon. Public parking is available in the parking complexes north (West Stadium) and south (Brian J. Whalen) of the Lawlor Events Center. Disabled parking is available in the West Stadium location.
There are several highlights and special programs being held on campus surrounding Nevada's 2011 Spring Commencement:
- Upward Bound, TRiO Scholars and McNair Scholars Programs will honor graduates, many who are low-income, first generation in college, or underrepresented students, at 7 p.m., Wednesday, April 27 at the Joe Crowley Student Union Ballroom C. Contact Angela Allison, (775) 682-6717.
- Multicultural graduation celebrations will be held for Latino, African-American, American Indian/Alaska Native (6 p.m., Wednesday, May 4 in Ballroom C of the Student Union) and Asian America Pacific Islander graduates (6 p.m., Friday, May 6 at Ijji Sushi, 685 E. Prater Way, Sparks). Contact Ellen Houston, (775) 683-8404.
- The Honor the Best Ceremony, recognizing top students, faculty and staff, will be held 3-5 p.m., Wednesday, May 11 at the Joe Crowley Student Union Ballroom. Contact Audrey Goodnight, (775) 784-6002.
- The Senior Scholars Reception & Ceremony will recognize outstanding seniors and their mentors at 6 p.m., Thursday, May 12 at the Joe Crowley Student Union Ballroom C. Contact Lindsey Harmon, (775) 784-6620.
- The Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) Commissioning will be held at 10 a.m., Friday, May 13 at the Jot Travis Building, Room 100. Contact Sgt. 1st Class Scott King, (775) 682-7469.
- The Class of 1961 will return to campus for their 50th reunion during the Golden Reunion Reception & Campus Tour at 1 p.m., Friday, May 13, at Morrill Hall. Contact Hope Hepner, (775) 784-6620.
- The Medical School Graduation will take place at 1 p.m., Friday, May 13 at Lawlor Events Center. Contact Anne McMillin, (775) 682-9254.
Note: In inclement weather, the ceremonies will be held at Lawlor Events Center. Media parking is limited in the area adjacent to the Quad.