USAC hosts hundreds of international educators
NAFSA, the Association of International Educators, represents nearly 10,000 university-level professionals dedicated to bringing foreign students to study at universities in the United States or organizing study-abroad programs. The University of Nevada, Reno’s Studies Abroad Consortium hosts the annual NAFSA Region XII (California, Nevada and Hawaii) Conference Oct. 25-29 at John Ascuaga’s Nugget Hotel and Casino in Sparks.
Nearly 500 professionals in international education and study-abroad programs gather at the regional conference each year for training and professional development opportunities, to update knowledge and skills, share ideas, advocate for international education and network. This year’s theme, “Grab the Future by the Horns!”encourages participants to speak out on behalf of international education.
“Advocating for our international and study-abroad programs is vital right now as we prepare college-aged students to be competitive and successful in the global marketplace, and, to be creative and open-minded in moving towards a peaceful and sustainable way of life,” said Carmelo Urza, director of the University Studies Abroad Consortium at Nevada and co-chair of the regional conference.
Conference sessions will teach participants advocacy skills as well as how to use emerging technologies to advance management of offices, to improve communication with students and to orient students to a variety of important topics.
“This conference is an opportunity for professionals in the field of international education at the university level to become current with the latest trends in study abroad, visa requirements for going abroad and the latest rules and laws of the federal government regarding entry into the U.S., the Department of State ruling on working with Cuba, etc.,” Urza said. “Everyone who sends students abroad and who brings them in are well served by this conference.”
University of Nevada, Reno faculty and staff presenting at the conference are:
- Elizabeth Adamska, Current Issues in H-1B Processing
- Alice Boateng, The Kayayoo: Ghana’s Girl Head Load Carriers
- Terina Caserto, Studies Abroad and Veterans Administration Education Benefits
- Serge Herzog, Gauging the Impact of Study Abroad on Academic Success
- Zaneta Janiczak, Making the Most of Education USA Advising Centers
- John Mahaffy, Improving Curriculum and Instruction Through Assessing Student Performance
- Jennifer Mahon, International Student Teaching: Examining Institutional Promises and Pitfalls
- Jillian Murdock, Curriculum Integration in Higher Education
Additional information, session schedules and registration materials can be found on the conference website at NAFSA Region 12.