Most-ever graduates to be awarded at Spring Commencement
The University of Nevada, Reno’s Spring Commencement will confer 1,997 degrees and certificates, the largest number of graduation applicants in the University’s history. There will be two ceremonies, one for advanced-degree recipients on Fri., May 14 and one for bachelor-degree recipients on Sat., May 15. Both ceremonies will be held on the University’s historic Quadrangle, located on the southern part of campus.
During the University’s 120th Commencement 1,475 bachelor degrees and 522 advanced-degree certificates (master’s and doctoral degrees and education specialist certificate), will be awarded. The University awarded 1,843 for the Spring 2009 ceremony.
The 2010 Herz Gold Medalist will also be announced. The medal, the University’s oldest and most prestigious student award, has been presented to the graduating senior with the highest grade-point average since 1910.
The procession for advanced degrees, held Fri., May 14, begins at 4:45 p.m. The approximately one-hour-long ceremony concludes with the recession.
The bachelor’s-degree ceremony, held Sat., May 15, begins at 8:15 a.m. Students and faculty leaders will assemble for Commencement at 8 a.m. University President Milt Glick will welcome attendees. The ceremony will conclude with the recession around noon. Public parking is available in the West Stadium Parking Complex.
There are several other Commencement Week highlights:
- New this year, separate Multicultural Graduation Celebrations are held for Latino, African-American, Native American and Asian and Pacific Islander graduates. Contact: Ellen Houston, 683-8404.
- Honor the Best Ceremony, recognizing top students, faculty and staff, Wed., May 12, 3 - 5 p.m., Joe Crowley Student Union Ballroom. Contact: Noelle White, 682-6002.
- Senior Scholars Reception & Ceremony, Thurs., May 13, 6 p.m., Joe Crowley Student Union Ballroom. Contact: Lindsey Harmon, 784-6620.
- Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) Commissioning, Fri., May 14, 10 a.m., Jot Travis Building, Room 100. Contact: Sgt. 1st Class Scott King, 682-7469.
- Golden Reunion Reception & Campus Tour, Fri., May 14, 1 p.m., Morrill Hall. Contact: Christy Jerz, 784-6620.
- Medical School Graduation, Fri., May 14, 1 p.m., Lawlor Events Center. Contact: Brandi Taylor, 682-8351.