1,800 degrees to be awarded at Spring Commencement
The University of Nevada, Reno’s Spring Commencement will take place during two ceremonies, one for advanced degree recipients on Friday, May 16 and one for baccalaureate degree recipients on Saturday, May 17. Both ceremonies are held on the University’s historic quadrangle, located on the southern part of campus.
A total of 1,402 bachelor’s degrees and 428 advanced degree certificates (master’s and doctoral degrees and the education specialist certificate) will be awarded during the University’s 118th commencement exercises.
The 2008 Herz Gold Medalist will also be announced. The medal, the University’s oldest and most prestigious student award, has been presented to the graduating senior with the highest grade-point average since 1910.
The procession for advanced degrees, held Friday, May 16, begins at 4:30 p.m. The approximately one-hour-long ceremony concludes with the recession. The baccalaureate ceremony, held Saturday, May 17, begins at 8:30 a.m. University President Milton Glick will welcome attendees. The ceremony will conclude with the recession around noon.
One hundred and fifteen students will be eligible to walk through the Spring Commencement ceremony pending the completion of further degree requirements.
The University awarded 1,793 degrees at the Spring 2007 ceremony.
Students and faculty leaders will assemble for Commencement at 8 a.m. Public parking is available in the West Stadium parking complex.
There are several other Commencement Week highlights:
- Honor the Best Ceremony, recognizing top students, faculty and staff, Wed., May 14, 3 – 5 p.m., Joe Crowley Student Union Ballroom. Contact: Kristen Harris, 682-6012.
- Senior Scholars Reception, Thurs., May 15, 6 p.m., Joe Crowley Student Union Ballroom. Contact: Lindsey Harmon, 784-6620.
- Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) Commissioning, Fri., May 16, 10 a.m., Ansari Business Building, AB 106 Auditorium. Contact: Sgt 1st Class McDaniel, 784-6751.
- Golden Reunion reception & campus tour, Fri., May 16, 12:30 p.m., Morrill Hall. Contact: Lindsey Harmon, 784-6620.
- Medical School Graduation, Fri., May 16, 1 p.m., Lawlor Events Center. Contact: Brandi Taylor, 682-8351.
- Distinguished Nevadan Reception, Fri., May 16, 6:30 p.m. Contact: Noelle White, 682-6002.