University police officer awarded six track and field medals
Officer Jonathan Martinez took part in the 2007 Police/Fire Games held in Phoenix, Ariz. April 5 through April 7. Martinez earned the following awards:
- Gold Medal - 100 Meter Race
- Gold Medal - 200 Meter Race
- Silver Medal - 50 Meter Race
- Silver Medal - 400 Meter Race
- Silver Medal - 4 x 1 Relay (Martinez joined 2 officers from San Francisco and a U.S. customs officer for this event)
- Bronze Medal - 800 Meter Race
Martinez, a former track star and football player from Palma High School in Salinas, Calif., hadn't participated in an official race for nearly five years. before entering this contest. He spent about two and a half months training for the event on his own time, and he paid his own way to the games, only requesting the department allow him the time off to travel to Arizona. He told his co-workers he felt he could do well based on his previous experiences. He exceeded all expectations.
Due to his first place wins, Martinez will receive prepaid registration for the International Games to be held in Orlando, Fla. in October 2008. Officer Martinez exhibits the best in the University Police's mission, and I commend and congratulate Jonathan for a job well done!