'Girl Bullying' conference, Oct. 5-6
Girl Bullying: From Awareness to Action; An Ophelia Project Conference A two-day conference addressing the issue of bullying among girls: the exclusion, gossip, rumor-spreading, covert and overt aggression, and the destruction of self-worth that make it difficult for girls to be confident and successful. Experts from the Ophelia Project will present workshops. Where: University of Nevada, Reno campus When: Friday and Saturday, October 5-6 Target Audience: counselors, educators, juvenile justice staff, social workers, Girl Scout leaders, parents, students majoring in education, etc. Early Bird Registration: deadline is July 16 Cost: $80 for both days if registered by July 16; $100 for both days after July 16; $50 for one-day registration by July 16; $75 for one-day registration after July 16; No refunds after September 15. Parking: $5 University parking on Friday; 50 cents University parking on Saturday Conference workshops, led by experts from the Ophelia Project:
- An introduction to the basics of relational aggression
- The Culture of "Over-connected", how cyber-bullying is threatening the next great generation
- Crimes of the Heart: An exploration of relational aggression
- The New Frontier of Aggression
- Navigating the turbulent waters of adolescence: What is our role?
- Shifting perspectives for powerful actions: It's what YOU do that makes all the difference!
- Five critical steps to creating safer learning climates
- Helping girls grow strong!
- Shaping healthy peer relationships for Girl Scouts
- "She was mean to me." What's a parent to do?
- What's in your backpack? Peer aggression on campus
- Setting the stage for a meaningful mentoring program
- Behind the scenes of mentor training
- Storytelling: Chronicles that connect
- Help is on the way: Strategies to empower parents to deal with relational aggression in their children's schools
- Counselors leading the way!
- "Accountability" is not a 4-letter word
- Grounding with Research: What we know about addressing relational aggression with research
- Building awareness in the community: Creating a community that cares
- Addressing Girl Bullying: From awareness to action
For More Information call: Girl Scouts of the Sierra Nevada, (775) 322-0642, ext. 244, or (800) 222-5406 ext. 244. The conference is presented by the Ophelia Project, in partnership with the Girl Scouts of the Sierra Nevada and the Washoe County School District. It is endorsed by the Committee on the Status of Women and the Women's Studies Department of the University of Nevada.