Phone: (775) 682-6743
Lab (775) 784-1383
- Office: Center for Molecular Medicine 211F
- Mail Stop: 0320
- Website: http://medicine.nevada.edu/directory/subhash-verma
- Ph.D., Biotechnology, Banaras Hindu University, 2003
Post-Doctoral training in Molecular Virology, University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, 2003-2007.
Research Associate, Department of Microbiology, University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, 2007-2009
Assistant Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Nevada, Reno, School of Medicine, 2009-2014.
Associate Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Nevada, Reno, School of Medicine, 2014-current.
My laboratory is interested in understanding the mechanism of KSHV genome replication during reactivation as well as during de-novo infection of human cells. Kaposi's sarcoma associated herpesvirus (KSHV), also referred, as Human Herpesvirus 8 (HHV8) is tightly linked to various human malignancies including Primary Effusion Lymphomas (PELs), Kaposi's sarcoma (KS) and Multicentric Castleman's Disease (MCDs) and cause tumors predominantly in immune compromised individuals including HIV+ and patients receiving immune suppressive therapies to prevent graft rejection. KSHV induced tumors are one of the major causes of morbidity and mortality of HIV/AIDS patients.
The major research interests are defining the genetic and epigenetic factors involved in regulating viral DNA replication during latent as well as lytic phases of the viral life cycles. We use a novel, Single Molecule Analysis of the Replication DNA (SMARD), approach to localize the replication initiation (ori) and termination sites on the viral genome. We are using next generation sequencing (RNA-seq and ChIP-seq) to delineate the changes in chromatin structure required for replication initiation. Additionally, we are using various other biochemical and recombinant approaches to establish the role of viral genes in replication and persistence of the viral genome.
Molecular Virology (Herpesviruses)
- CMB 794
- CMB 710
- MICR 425/MICR 625
- Advaitha Madireddy†, Pravinkumar Purushothaman†, Christopher P. Loosbroock, Erle S. Robertson, Carl L. Schildkraut and Subhash C. Verma (2016) Nucleic Acids Research, 1, doi: 10.1093/nar/gkw038 † Authors contributed equally
- Pravinkumar Purushothaman, Prerna Dabral, Namrata Gupta, Roni Sarkar and Subhash C. Verma (2016). KSHV genome replication and maintenance. Frontiers in Microbiology. 7:54 doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2016.00054
- Suhani Thakker, Pravinkumar Purushothaman, Namrata Gupta, Shanthan Challa, Qiliang Cai, Subhash C. Verma (2015). KSHV LANA inhibits MHC II expression by disrupting the enhanceosome assembly through binding with the RFX complex. Journal of Virology 89, 5536-5556.
- Pravinkumar Purushothaman, Suhani Thakker, Subhash C. Verma (2015). Transcriptome Analysis of KSHV During De Novo Primary Infection of Human B and Endothelial Cells. Journal of Virology 89, 3093-3111.
- Timsy Uppal, Hem C Jha, Subhash C Verma, Erle S Robertson (2015). Chromatinization of the KSHV Genome During the KSHV Life Cycle. Cancers 01/2015; 7:112-142.
- Pravinkumar Purushothaman, Timsy Uppal, Subhash C Verma (2015). Molecular Biology of KSHV Lytic Reactivation. Viruses 01/2015; 7(1): 116-153.
- Timsy Uppal, Sagarika Banerjee, Zhiguo Sun, Subhash C. Verma, Erle S. Robertson (2015). KSHV LANA-The Master Regulator of KSHV Latency. Viruses 12/2014; 6(12): 4961-4998.
- Hem C Jha, Jie Lu, Subhash C Verma, Shuvomoy Banerjee, Devan Mehta, Erle S Robertson (2014). Kaposi's Sarcoma-Associated Herpesvirus Genome Programming during the Early Stages of Primary Infection of Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells. mBio 12/2014; 5(6):e02261-14. DOI: 10.1128/mBio.02261-14.
- Nivedita gaur, Jaya Gandhi, Erle S. Robertson, Subhash C. Verma and Rajeev Kaul (2015). Epstein-Barr Virus latent antigens EBNA3C and EBNA1 modulate epithelial to mesenchymal transition of cancer cells associated with tumor metastasis. Tumor Biology 12/2014.
- Jie Lu, Hem C Jha, Subhash C Verma, Zhiguo Sun, Shuvomoy Banerjee, Richard Dzeng, Erle S Robertson (2014). KSHV encoded LANA contributes to viral latent replication by activating phosphorylation of Survivin. Journal of Virology 01/2014.
- Qiliang Cai, Shen Cai, Caixia Zhu, Subhash C. Verma SC, Ji-Young Choi, Erle S. Robertson (2013). A Unique SUMO-2-Interacting Motif within LANA Is Essential for KSHV Latency. PLoS pathogens 9:e1003750.
- Subhash C. Verma*, Qiliang Cai, Edward Kreider, Lu J and Erle Robertson* (2013) Comprehensive analysis of LANA interacting proteins essential for viral genome tethering and persistence. PLoS One 01/2013; 8(9): e74662 *Corresponding authors.
- Maria E. McDowell, Pravinkumar Purushothaman, Cyprian Rossetto, Gregory Pari and Subhash C. Verma (2013). Phosphorylation of KSHV processivity factor, ORF59, by a viral kinase modulates its ability to associate with RTA and oriLyt. J. Virol 87:8038-8052.
- Cyprian Rossetto, Margaret Elorza, Subhash C. Verma, Pravinkumar Purushothaman, and Gregory Pari (2013). Regulation of viral and cellular gene expression by Kaposi's sarcoma associated herpesvirus (KSHV) PAN RNA. J. Virol 87:5540-5553.
- Pravinkumar Purushothaman, M. E. M., James McGuinness, Ruth Salas, Sharif M. Rumjahn and Subhash C. Verma (2012). KSHV encoded LANA recruits Topoisomerase IIβ for latent DNA replication of the terminal repeats. J. Virol 86:9983-94.
- Subhash C. Verma*, Jie Lu, Qiliang Cai, Settapong Kosiyatrakul, Maria E. McDowell, Carl C. Schildkraut* and Erle S. Robertson* (2011) Single Molecule Analysis of Replicated DNA Reveals the Usage of Multiple KSHV Genome Regions for Latent Replication. PLoS Pathogens Nov; 7 (11): e1002365. *Corresponding authors.
- Qiliang Cai, Bingyi Xiao, Huaxin Si, Amanda Cervini, Jie. Lu, Santosh. K. Upadhyay, Subhash. C. Verma, and Erle. S. Robertson (2012). Kaposi's sarcoma herpesvirus upregulates Aurora A expression to promote p53 phosphorylation and ubiquitylation. PLoS Pathogens 8:e1002566.
- Jie Lu, Subhash C. Verma, Qiliang Cai, Abhik Saha, Richard Dzeng and Erle S. Robertson (2012). The RBP-Jκ binding sites within the RTA Promoter Regulates KSHV Latent Infection and Proliferation. PLoS Pathogens Jan;8(1): e1002479.
- Subhash C. Verma, Ke Lan, Erle S. Robertson (2007). Structure and function of latency-associated nuclear antigen. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 2007; 312:101-36.
- Ke Lan, Subhash C. Verma, Masanao Murakami, Bharat G. Bajaj, Rajeev Kaul, Erle S. Robertson (2007). Kaposi's sarcoma herpesvirus-encoded latency-associated nuclear antigen stabilizes intracellular activated Notch by targeting the Sel10 protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 104(41): 16287-92.
- Subhash C. Verma, Ke Lan, Tathagata Choudhuri, Murray A. Cotter, Erle S. Robertson (2007). An autonomous replicating element within the KSHV genome. Cell Host Microbe. 2 (2): 106-18.