The Cytometry Center provides assistance in the design, execution and analysis of flow cytometric experiments. Flow cytometry is the analysis of cells in suspension that gains its power and utility from collecting multiple simultaneous measurements from individual cells. Light scatter properties provide information concerning cell size and structure. Antibodies with distinguishable fluorescent labels can be used to measure the expression of cell surface and intracellular molecules.
Flow cytometry is typically considered a tool of immunological investigations to characterize cells of the immune system. However, flow cytometry can be applied to any types of cells that can be dissociated into single cell suspensions. The Cytometry Center and the Department of Physiology and Cell Biology have extended flow cytometry to identify, enumerate and characterize interstitial cells of Cajal (ICC, pacemaker cells) from gut muscles.
- Kim, M., and Perrino, B.A. CaM kinase II activation and phospholamban phosphorylation by SNP in murine gastric antrum smooth muscles. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 292.g1045-54, 2007
- Jabr, R.I., R.I., Wilson, A.J., Riddervold, M.H., Jenkins, A.H., Perrino, B.A., and Clapp. Nuclear translocation of calcineurin Ab but not Aa by platelet-derived growth factor in rat aortic smooth muscle. Am. J. Physiol. Cell Physiol. 292:C2213-25, 2007
- Hicks, G., Perrino, B.A., Marrion, N.V. Inhibition of BKCa channel activity by association with calcineurin in rat brain. Eur. J. Neuroscience. 24:433-41, 2006
- Gary-Gouy, H., Sainz-Perez, A., Bismuth, G., Ghadiri, A., Perrino, B.A., and Dalloul, A. Cyclosporin-A inhibits ERK phosphorylation in B cells by modulating the binding of Raf protein to Bcl2. BBRC 344:134-139, 2006
- Kim, M., Han, I.S., Koh, S.D., and Perrino, B.A., Role of CaM kinase II and phospholamban in SNP-induced relaxation of murine gastric fundus smooth muscle. Am. J. Physiol. Cell Physiol. 291: C337-47, 2006
- Kim, M., Cho, S.Y., Han, I.S., Koh, S.D., and Perrino, B.A., CaM kinase II and phospholamban contribute to caffeine-induced relaxation of murine gastric fundus smooth muscle. Am. J. Physiol. Cell Physiol. 288:C1202-C1210, 2005
- Sergeant, G.P., Ohya, S., Rehill, J.R., Perrino, B.A., Koh, S.D., Sanders, K.M., and Horowitz, B. Regulation of Kv4.3 channels by Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II. . Am. J. Physiol. Cell Physiol. 288:C304-C313, 2005
- Leblanc, N., Ledoux, J., Saleh, S., Sanguinetti, A., Angermann, J., O'Driscoll, K., Britton, F., Perrino, B.A., and Greenwood, I.A. Regulation of Calcium-Activated Chloride Channels in Smooth Muscle Cells-A Complex Picture Is Emerging. Can. J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 83:541-546, 2005
- Greenwood, I.A., Ledoux, J., Perrino, B.A., and Leblanc, N. Calcineurin-dependent dephosphorylation augments IClCa in pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells. J. Biol. Chem. 279:38830-38837, 2004
- Riddervold, M.H., Lorenz, J.M., Beckett, E.A.H., Baker, S.A., and Perrino, B.A. Differential autophosphorylation of Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II from phasic and tonic smooth muscle tissues. AJP Cell Physiol. 283: C1399-C1413, 2002
- Perrino, B.A., Wilson, A.J., Ellison, P., and Clapp, L.H. Substrate selectivity and sensitivity to inhibition by immunophilin/immunosuppressant complexes of calcineurin heterodimers composed of the ? or ? catalytic subunit. Eur. J. Biochem. 269:3540-3548, 2002
- Amberg, G., Koh, S.D., Perrino, B.A., Hatton, W.J., and Sanders, K.M. Regulation of A-type potassium channels in murine colonic myocytes by phosphatase activity. Am. J. Physiol. Cell Physiol. 281:C2020-2028, 2001
- Jun, J.Y., Kong, I.D., Koh, S.D., Wang, X.Y., Perrino, B.A., Ward, S.M., and Sanders, K.M. Regulation of ATP-sensitive K+ channels by protein kinase C in murine colonic myocytes. Am. J. Physiol. Cell Physiol. 281:C857-C864, 2001.
- Perrino, B.A. and Martin, B.A. Ca2+-and myristoylation-dependent association of calcineurin with phosphatidylserine. J. Biochem. (Tokyo)129:835-841, 2001.
- Martin, B.A.; Oxhorn, B.C.; Rossow, C.R.; and Perrino, B.A. A cluster of basic residues in calcineurin B participates in the binding of calcineurin to phosphatidylserine vesicles. J. Biochem. (Tokyo)129:843-849, 2001.
- Perrino, B.A. Regulation of calcineurin-dependent signaling pathways by protein targeting. Recent Research Developments in Endocrinology. 1:209-232, 2000.
- Perrino, B.A. Regulation of calcineurin phosphatase activity by its autoinhibitory domain. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 372:159-165, 1999
- Koh, S. D.; Perrino, B. A.; Hatton, W. J.; Kenyon, J. L.; and Sanders, K. M. Novel regulation of the A-type current in murine proximal colon by calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II. J. Physiol. 517 (Part1):75-84, 1999
- Perrino, B.A. and Soderling, T.R. Biochemistry and Pharmacology of the Calmodulin-Regulated Phosphatase Calcineurin. Invited chapter for "Calmodulin and Signal Transduction", Academic Press, Eds: Linda van Eldik and D. Martin Watterson. 169-236, 1998