- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D., Biology, University of California, Santa Cruz, 1985
- B.S., Biology, University of California, Santa Cruz, 1980
University of Nevada, Reno, Biochemistry, Postdoctoral Fellow, 1985-1990
University of Nevada, Reno, Biochemistry, Assistant Research Professor
As graduate student, I worked on molecular mechanisms of circadian rhythms, using Neurospora crassa as a model organism. As a postdoctoral fellow and research assistant professor, I pursued my interest in membrane-bound enzymes and worked on lipid biosynthesis in in vertebrates.
I am currently not involved with research in a laboratory. However, I am very interested in ongoing research regarding innovations in pedagogy. I have been involved in the Biology Scholars Program, sponsored by the American Society for Microbiology. I was trained in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning and began implementing research designed at examining the success of using interrupted case studies in a large lecture format. I also am assessing the use of technology in the classroom--personal response devices ("clickers"), online adaptive quizzes and, in the future, online narrated powerpoint lectures for introductory/foundational material in my courses.
I have taught many different courses ranging from biochemistry and molecular biology labs, to introduction to cell and molecular biology to majors, to my current focus on introduction to biology for non-majors and microbiology.
- 2001 Bio 395: Laboratory in Genetics and Cell Biology
- 1998 - present Bio 251: Microbiology
- 1998 BCH 280: Freshman Year Experience
- 1998 BCH 403: Biochemistry Laboratory
- 1997 - present Bio 100: Biology: Principles and Applications
- 1997 -? Bio 406/606: Molecular Biology Lab
- 1996 - 1997 BCH 150: Science and the Citizen: Biotechnology
- Eigenheer A.L.,, S. Young S., Blomquist G. J, Borgeson C.E., J. A. Tillman J.A. and Tittiger C.(2002) Isolation and molecular characterization of Musca domestica delta 9 desaturase sequences, Insect Molecular Bio11, 533.
- Riddervold M.H., Tittiger C, Blomquist G.J. and Borgeson C.E. (2002) Biochemical and molecular characterization of house cricket (Acheta domesticus, Orthoptera: Gryllidae) Δ9 desaturase, Insect Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 32, 1731 1740.
- Batcabe J., Howell J. D., Blomquist G.J., and Borgeson C.E., Physiological factors affecting Δ12 desaturase in Acheta domesticus,(2000) Archives of Insect Biochem. and Physiol. 44, 112-119.
- Tittiger C., Blomquist G.J., Ivarsson P., Borgeson C. E., and Seybold S.J., (1999) Juvenile hormone regulation of HMG-R gene expression in the bark beetle Ips paraconfusus (Coleopter: Scolytidae) : implications for male aggregation pheromone biosynthesis, Cell Mol Life Sci 55, 121-127.
- Ivarsson P., Tittiger C., Blomquist C., Högberg H.-E., Borgeson C.E., Seybold S.J., and Blomquist G.J., (1998) Pheromone Precursor Synthesis is Localized in the Metathorax of Ips paraconfusus Lanier (Coleoptera: Scolytidae), Naturwissenschaften 85, 507-511.
- Weinert J., Blomquist G.J., and Borgeson C.E. (1993) De novo biosynthesis of linoleic acid in two non-insect invertebrates: the land slug and the garden snail. Experientia 47,238-240
- Borgeson C.E. and Blomquist G. J. (1992) Subcellular location of the Δ12 desaturase rules out bacteriocyte contribution to linoleate biosynthesis in the house cricket and American cockroach, Insect Biochem. Molec. Biol. 23, 297-302.
- Borgeson C. E., Kurtti T. J., Munderloh U.G. and Blomquist G. J. (1991) Insect tissues, not microorganisms, produce linoleic acid in the house cricket and the American cockroach, Experientia 47, 238-41,
- Borgeson C.E., de Renobales M., and Blomquist G.J (1990) Characterization of the delta 12 desaturase in the American cockroach, Periplaneta americana: the nature of the substrate. Biochim Biophys Acta 1047, 135-140.
- Borgeson C. E. and Bowman B.J. (1990) Mutations that affect circadian rhythms in Neurospora crassa can alter the reduction of cytochromes by blue light, J Biol Rhythms 5, 291-301.
- Borgeson C.E, Pardini L, Pardini R.S, Reitz R.C. (1989) Effects of dietary fish oil on human mammary carcinoma and on lipid metabolizing enzymes. Lipids 24,290-295.
- Cripps, C., Borgeson C. E., Blomquist G.J. and de Renobales M (1989) The Δ12-desaturase from the house cricket, Acheta domesticus (Orthoptera: Gryllidae): characterization and form of the substrate, Arch Biochem Biophys 278, 46-51.
- Borgeson C.E. and Bowman B.J. (1985) Blue light-reducible cytochromes in membrane fractions from Neurospora crassa, Plant Physiol 78, 433-437.
- Borgeson C.E. and Bowman B.J. (1983) Isolation and characterization of the Neurospora crassa endoplasmic reticulum, J Bact 156, 362-368.