- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (775) 784-4309
- Mail Stop: 173
- Ph.D. Geo-Engineering, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 1975
- Certificate in Mine Ventilation, University of Leuven, Belgium. 1967
- Certificate in Hydrogeology, University of Leuven, Belgium, 1966
- Civil Mining Engineer, University of Leuven, Belgium, 1967
Rock mechanics: stability of underground excavations; blasting. Borehole and shaft sealing. Main recent research has focused on the long term stability of underground excavations in rock, notably trying to determine strength of rock under prolonged sustained loading. Main blasting research has included studies of ground vibrations, fragmentation, and rock mass movement induced by blasting. Earlier research included, in particular, ground-support interactions for underground excavations, and sealing of boreholes and underground excavations in general.
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE)
- Paper reviewer for Tunneling and Underground Space Technology; International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences; Mining Technology (Transactions, Institution of Mining and Metallurgy, London, Section A; Mining Engineering; Engineering Geology; Mathematical Geosciences; Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology, Applied Clay Sciences.
- Proposal Reviewer, National Science Foundation, Geomechanics Division
- Consulting: U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, U.S. Department of Energy, mining and underground construction companies.
- Member of SME (Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration, Inc.), ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers), ARMA (American Rock Mechanics Association) AGU (American Geophysical Union), ISEE (International Society of Explosives Engineers).
- Introduction to Mining Methods
- Rock Excavation
- Rock Mechanics
- Quarry Mining
- Tunneling and Underground Construction
- Rock Mechanics For Underground Mining and Construction
- Advanced Rock Mechanics
- Introduction to Coal Mining
- Subsidence Engineering
- Boundary Element Methods
- Block Theory
- Daemen, Jaak, J.K., Geotechnical/Geomechanical mine failures: On the importance of recognizing precursors to failures, on the remaining difficulties encountered when trying to do so, and on the critical need to prevent disasters, Invited keynote lecture, International workshop "Winning Strategies to Re-vitalize the Mineral Sector", August 8-9, 2009, Mangalore, India.
- Daemen, Jaak J.K., On the importance, and difficulty, of dealing with the time dependency of engineered structures in, on, or with, hard rock. Invited keynote lecture, Second Thai Rock mechanics symposium, Pattaya, Thailand, March, 2009; Proceedings, K. Fuenkajorn and N. Phien-wej, Eds., Geomechanics Research Unit, Suranaree University of Technology, pp. 3 - 34.
- Anoosehpoor, R., Purvance, M.D., Brune, J.N., Daemen, J.K., Constraints on ground accelerations inferred from unfractured hoodoos near the Garlock Fault, Southern California, 2009 SSA meeting abstract.
- Yin-Ping Li, Chun-He Yang, Jaak J.K. Daemen, Xue-Ying Yin, A new Cosserat-like constitutive model for bedded salt rocks, International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, 2009, DOI: 10.1002/nag.784.
- Md Sazzadur Rahman, Suresh Divi, Dhanesh Chandra, Jaak Daemen, Effect of different salts on the corrosion properties of friction type A607 steel rock bolt in simulated concentrated water, Tunneling and Underground Space Technology, vol. 23, pp. 665 - 673, 2008, doi:10.1016/j.tust.2007.12.003.
- Daemen, J.J.K., Yucca Mountain rock mechanics, Chinese-German Workshop on Radioactive Waste Disposal, Invited presentation, P.R. China National Academy of Sciences - German Nuclear Waste Program, Beijing, P.R. China, May 28, 2007.
- L. Ma and J.J.K. Daemen, Strain rate dependent strength and stress-strain characteristics of a welded tuff, Bull Eng Geol Env, DOI 10.1007/s10064-005-0038-6, 2006.
- L. Ma, J.J.K. Daemen, An experimental study on creep of welded tuff, International Journal of Rock mechanics & Mining Sciences, Vol. 43, pp. 282-291, 2006, doi:10.1016/j.ijrmms.2005.07.002.
- Haluk Akgűn and J.J.K. Daemen, Stability of expansive cement grout borehole seals in the vicinity of underground radioactive waste repositories, Environmental Geology, Vol. 45, pp. 1167-71, 2004.