Apply to McNair Scholars
Become a McNair Scholar.
* The McNair Scholars Program is accepting applications for the 2016/2017 academic year!
We are accepting applications for scholars for fall 2016! The priority will be given to those applications received on or before September 30th, 2016. Applications received after this date will be considered as space allows, or for admission to the program in future semesters. Completed applications require steps 1-3 below to be complete. Applicants accepted in fall 2016 will be selected to participate in the spring/summer 2017 research cohort. At this time, we are only accepting applications for students who plan to graduate in fall 2017 or later.
Please review the following Eligibility Requirements put forth by the U.S. Department of Education, before proceeding with your application. There is also a time commitment involved with program services. Please review the following program requirements prior to proceeding.
As part of your online application you will need to provide the email addresses of two faculty members who will evaluate you for the program. After your online application has been reviewed, you will be contacted by the McNair Scholars Program and asked to proceed to step two.
You will be emailed a secondary form where you must upload an essay, unofficial transcripts and tax documents. The form has directions for each of these steps. Information regarding the essay requirements is listed below for reference.
Please limit your response to a TOTAL of two, typed, double-spaced pages.
- Who are you? Describe your family including parents' highest level of education and your educational background as well as your post-graduate study and career goals.
- Please define your understanding of the McNair Scholars Program philosophy and its primary goal.
- The University of Nevada, Reno McNair Program experience is stimulating, challenging, and demanding both in and out of the classroom. Why are you interested in such an experience and what are your reasons for wanting to be a McNair Scholar?
- Discuss what you hope to gain by becoming a McNair Scholar.
- Given the purpose of the McNair Scholars Program, to increase the diversity of administrative faculty and professors on college campuses, to describe your interest level in an academic career?Describe your course load, extra-curricular, and general work commitment.
- Discuss any plans, financial, familial, or personal responsibilities you have that may interfere with you participation in the program.
All applications will be reviewed by a faculty committee and students will be invited for an interview. Students who are selected for the McNair Scholars Program interview process will be required to complete the Eligibility Signature Page Form along with providing tax year 2015 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ copies (front and back ONLY), OR a Statement of Non-Taxable Income.
Students will be selected to participate in the McNair Scholars program after interviews are completed.