skip to main content

Advising Frequently Asked Questions

Who is my academic advisor?

Students have an academic advisor for both their major and minor areas of study.

My advisor isn't available over the summer, who can help me with academic advising?

The College of Liberal Arts dean's office provides professional advising throughout the year. The dean's office assists students at summer orientation, a student's first year at the University and again as a student approaches graduation. To schedule an appointment with academic advisors in the dean's office, please call (775) 784-6155. The dean's office is located in the Ansari Business building, sixth floor, Room 631.

How do I access my Academic Advising Report (AAR)?

University of Nevada, Reno students can access their AAR via MyNevada. From the Student Center Dashboard, you access your report by clicking on "My Academic Requirements."

I've heard about the "What-if Report," but what is it and why would I use it?

The "What-if Report" provides a scenario for you to see how the coursework you have completed might be applicable (or not) in choosing a new major or minor. The "What-if Report" does not officially change your major or minor. Students can access this report in MyNevada on their Student Center Dashboard.

What is the breadth requirement?

Students must complete six credits toward the breadth requirement. These courses need to be outside of your major and minor areas of study. The courses may not be used toward Core Curriculum requirements. For example, if a student is majoring in psychology and minoring in theatre they can choose from any other disciplines in the College of Liberal Arts. If you have completed your breadth requirement, please send an email to indicating the coursework you have completed, and your Academic Requirement report in MyNevada will be updated.

How do I fulfill the foreign language requirement?

There are a number of ways to fulfill the foreign language requirement. Please consult with your academic advisor or the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures. (Please be aware of course prerequisite):

  • Complete a fourth semester (level 209 or 212) in a foreign language course.
  • Complete a fourth semester in American Sign Language (AM 148).
  • Show transcript evidence of successfully completing four years of the same foreign language in high school.
  • Demonstrate proficiency through a placement exam or other means through the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures.
  • Participate and complete preapproved language courses in a study abroad program.
  • Languages offered at the University: American Sign Language, Arabic, Basque, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese and Spanish.

If I pursue a double major, do I need to complete a minor?

If a student declares two majors that lead to one degree (i.e. a bachelor of arts), you may have your minor waived. Your minor will not be waived automatically. You will need to contact your academic advisor to request the minor to be waived.

How do I make it on the Dean's List?

Students in the College of Liberal Arts who earn a 3.7 GPA in a semester (minimum of 12 graded credits required) will be on the Dean's List.

Take the next step...