Master of Public Administration
- More Info: Visit the general course catalog
To become a better manager in the public sphere
Courses in the University of Nevada, Reno Master of Public Administration are designed to increase the student’s understanding of internal organizational environments and to help the student develop needed managerial skills in public programs. Courses in public policy give the student an understanding of the social, political, and economic environment in which public programs develop and operate. Courses in research methods provide the skills necessary in today’s complex government agencies and activities. A track of specialization provides the student with additional competence in an area linked to individual interests and/or career goals.
The program offers three defined specialization tracks:
- Public Management
- Policy Analysis and Evaluation
- Environmental Policy and Management
Students may augment the required nine credits in the specialization track with additional elective courses. Students may also devise more specifically defined specialization tracks (e.g., Comparative Administration, Urban Management and Planning) upon consultation with and approval by their advisory committee and the Director of Graduate Studies.
Preparing Students for Careers in Public Administration
The major focus in the MPA course of study is on a professional education that links academic inquiry with career training and development. The MPA program has three general goals:
- To prepare people for careers in public administration and policy analysis.
- To improve managerial competence of persons presently in public service through the advanced study of administrative processes and problems, and through an increased understanding of policy issues and research skills.
- To support additional university-based research in public administration and policy analysis.
Applying to the Program
Interested in pursuing the University of Nevada, Reno MPA? Get application information here.
Related Degrees and Programs
Contact College of Liberal Arts
|Location||Ansari Business Building|
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno, NV 89557