ResHall Configuration: XP
During configuration, there is a small chance that your computer may prompt you for the Windows XP CD. This is the disc used to install the Windows XP operating system.
- Click Start button, select Control Panel. Locate and double-click Network Connections.
- Delete any listed network bridges. Right-click the bridge icon and click Delete.
- Double-click the Local Area Connection icon.
- In the Local Area Connection Status window, click on Properties.
- Uncheck all boxes EXCEPT Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). This increases the security of the machine within the ResHall network by limiting unauthorized access.
- Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) selection. Click Properties to bring up the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window.
- Select Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically and click OK.
- Click OK to close the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window.
- Click Close to close the Local Area Connection Status window.
- To initiate a connection to the Residence Hall network, open a web browser such as Firefox or Internet Explorer.
You may now continue with registering your computer on the Residence Hall Network.